Top Story, Athletics

Jarmond Hires Williams, Gates as Top Senior Administrators

Director of Athletics Martin Jarmond bolstered his department with two key additions on Wednesday, hiring Vaughn Williams from Kennesaw State and Jocelyn Fisher Gates from University of South Florida as Senior Associate Athletic Directors.

Williams returns to Chestnut Hill after six years as athletic director for the Owls. Last year, his work at Kennesaw State earned him the 2016-17 Under Armour Athletics Director of the Year. Williams created the Kennesaw Athletics Association, led a rebranding effort for his department, and signed a sponsorship deal with Adidas. He also expanded the number of sports by adding women’s lacrosse and football.

Jarmond brings Gates to his team following a four-year stint at USF. She served as the Senior Associate Athletic Director and Senior Woman Administrator, positions which she will also hold at BC. She oversaw academics, women’s basketball, and football scheduling, among other areas.

Like Jarmond, both Williams and Gates are former student athletes of color, bringing diversity and an intimate knowledge of the NCAA experience to a department in need of such qualities.

Before Kennesaw State, Williams had a history with the Heights. After playing football at UMass, he worked as BC’s Assistant Athletic Director for Operations and Facilities from 1998-2004, earning his master’s degree in 2002. Last year, he began a four-year tenure on the NIT Selection Committee and is currently a member of the National Association of Collegiate Directors and Minority Opportunities Athletic Association.

“Based on the positive energy and vision shared by Martin, I could not pass up an opportunity to be a part of something so special on the Heights,” Williams said. “My family and I are excited to rejoin the Boston College family.”

Gates, too, has a similar resume. Before USF, she spent four years as Duke’s Assistant Director for the Iron Duke’s Fund, as well as Special Assistant to the Vice President/Director of Athletics. Previously, she interned at NCAA Headquarters in the Diversity and Inclusion Department.

July 13, 2017