Enstrom’s PK in Double Overtime Gives Eagles Win Over Providence

Boston College men's soccer

Before Tuesday’s match against Providence College, Simon Enstrom had a message for his team. Boston College men’s soccer was in the midst of a four-game losing streak, and the junior forward knew the skid had to come to a halt.

“It doesn’t matter how we win,” he told his guys, “but we need to win today.”

So in double overtime, naturally, it was Enstrom who got it done for the Eagles—even if it wasn’t pretty. The Swedish striker elevated for a header off a cross from Younes Boudadi, collided with a defender, and landed on his back. A few seconds later, the ref blew his whistle.

The Friars’ sideline had reason to erupt in outrage. Typically, officials will let play continue in such a pivotal moment, as was the case with seven minutes remaining in double overtime of a 1-1 game. But a closer look at the replay reveals a handball in the box, though it’s tough to discern exactly whose hand it touched.

Either way, Enstrom capitalized on the penalty kick, slotting it into the left corner of the net for the game-winner. The goal, his fifth of the year, gave BC a much-needed 2-1 victory over Providence on a rainy afternoon in Newton.

The Eagles (3-4) probably should have never been in overtime in the first place. They took a 1-0 lead in the 52nd minute thanks to center back Abe Bibas, who floated a diving header over the goalie for his first goal of the season.

“Is it nice to see Abe get a goal?” head coach Ed Kelly laughed while repeating the question. “It’s a miracle to see Abe get a goal.”

But when the post-goal euphoria wore off, the second half proved to be just as shaky for BC as it had during the team’s last four games—a stretch over which it was outscored 7-1 after the first half.

With five minutes remaining, Matt Deperro dribbled down the right side and crossed one over the middle, where Antonio Chavez Borrelli dove and deflected it. Unfortunately for the Eagles, it trickled right to the feet of Friar captain Mac Steeves, who hammered home the equalizer.

Both teams managed chances in the first overtime period, but nothing found the back of the net until Enstrom’s strike in the 103rd minute.

“We’ve had the short end of the stick, like free kicks and all that kind of stuff,” Kelly said of his team’s luck during its four-game skid. “It’s about time that we caught a break.”

Featured Image by Jake Evans / Heights Staff

About Riley Overend 134 Articles
Riley Overend is a former Sports Editor for the Heights. He hails from the Bay Area, and likes to think of himself as a Kanyesseur. You can follow him on Twitter at @RileyHeights.