News, Top Story, Administration

BC Signs Letter Asking Congress to Take Action on Dreamers

Boston College signed a letter from the American Council on Education dated Oct. 19 urging Congress to take action against President Donald Trump’s request to rescind Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).

The letter, addressed to House Speaker Paul Ryan, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, cites a September Fox News poll found that “62 percent of Americans say it is extremely or very important for Congress to pass legislation to address the Dreamers.”

“Colleges and universities have seen these remarkable people up close, in our classrooms and as our colleagues and friends,” the letter continues. “Despite the challenges they face, they have made incredible contributions to our country and its economy and security. They should continue to be able to do so. If we are unable to protect these Dreamers, we will be shutting the door to an entire generation of individuals who seek to contribute their best to America.”

BC’s signing of the letter comes after other statements of support for DACA made by University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J., who released a statement Sept. 6 criticizing Trump’s decision.

“The decision to rescind DACA is such a mistake, and so conflicts with our values and heritage as a nation of immigrants,” Leahy wrote in the statement. “It is essential that Congress resolve this unfortunate situation as soon as possible.

“In the meantime, Boston College will continue assisting DACA students in its community.”

In addition to his statement in September, Leahy signed onto two statements last November, in the wake of Trump’s election, which expressed support for DACA.

“Fr. Leahy has always been a supporter of DACA, which is reflective of his unwavering commitment to making a Boston College education accessible to all,” University Spokesman Jack Dunn said in an email Tuesday. “Similarly, BC remains one of only 19 private universities that is need blind in admissions and meets the full demonstrated need of all of its students because Fr. Leahy has mandated that it should and has raised the resources to make it possible.”

Featured Image by Amelie Trieu / Heights Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “BC Signs Letter Asking Congress to Take Action on Dreamers”