Fall

BC’s Road Woes Continue as Seminoles Earn Weekend Sweep

Boston College volleyball retreated from the court after handing over a third and final game point to Florida State on an error. Prior to this, a service miscue by McKenna Goss spotted the Seminoles a critical 22nd point and gave them a nine-point lead. FSU then used its last coach’s challenge on a net foul and through this moved onto the match point. Goss fired out of bounds and the Eagles left the court after being swept three sets to none on FSU’s Senior Day match.

It seemed as if BC (6-20, 3-13 Atlantic Coast) could not catch a break on Sunday. Errors combined with a fair amount of tough luck led to the team’s fourth loss in a row. The Eagles continued their away game losing streak as well, as they have not won a single game away from Power Gym this fall.

BC struggled to keep up with a strong FSU offensive and defensive performance and especially with its three senior starters, whose last home ACC game fueled their efforts against the Eagles. It was difficult to play in such a setting, especially when FSU senior standout Milica Kubura was playing her last conference home game ever.

The Eagles were determined to come out strong in this match, just as in the last against FSU, where they won the first set, followed by three loses. This was not the case, as the game was quickly underway and the Eagles were finding themselves falling further and further behind a relentless effort by the Seminoles.

Kubaru took ahold of the set from the start, however BC sophomore Cat Balido and Goss led the team in pursuit of the Seminoles and the game remained relatively close. FSU maintained its lead through a series of runs which led to a final score of 25-20. Balido and Goss led the team in kills with 12 and 11 respectively.

BC’s persistence and determination fell short in the final two sets, as its struggle to keep up with the FSU offense increased and the Seminoles pulled away further. Despite getting on the board early in the second set, FSU stormed ahead and took a 14-8 lead that remained through the end, leaving the Eagles drained and down by two sets.

After some signs of hope early in the third from BC’s Lynn Braakhuis and Sophia West, any sort of comeback was crushed and FSU rolled through the end of its third set with ease, producing a 6-0 run and utilising errors to their advantage. BC fell in its second and third sets 25-17 and 25-13 respectively.

On the BC side, sophomore Jane DeJarld recorded yet another double-double, with 27 assists and 11 digs. It marked her ninth of the season, most on the team. The Eagles dominated in aces, served by Braakhuis and sophomore Jill Strockis, that gave the team the temporary momentum that lacked throughout the rest of the match.

The few moments of energy in the BC offense were not enough to combat a determined FSU starting lineup, and the Eagles remained in pursuit throughout all three sets. Their inability to lead and defend or replicate their opponents runs led to yet another loss away from Chestnut Hill.

Featured Image by Jake Catania / Heights Staff