Student Assembly Rejects Resolution on Threats, Personal Attacks

The Student Assembly (SA) of the Undergraduate Government of Boston College finished debate and voted down a proposed “Resolution Concerning a UGBC Stance Against Threats and Personal Attacks” at its meeting Tuesday. The resolution was sponsored by Sam Szeremenyi, MCAS ’20, and co-sponsored by Andrew Meek, MCAS ’18.

When the resolution was motioned to vote, nine senators voted in favor of the resolution, nine voted against the resolution, and one abstained. Tt King, UGBC executive vice president and MCAS ’18, voted “no” to break the tie.

The resolution was intended to make a statement that UGBC condemns any action that violates the Student Code of Conduct put forth by BC and infringes on the rights of BC students. It also affirmed that the SA supports open dialogue with students and administrators to work toward positive and lasting change in BC’s community.

The meeting opened with the continuation of last week’s debate, led by an opening statement from Szeremenyi.

“The underlying premise of this resolution is that [the SA] wants to make sure that every member of our student body at Boston College knows their rights,” he said. “If someone has a problem with that, I don’t really think that is someone we should be listening to.”

After his opening statement, Szeremenyi introduced an amendment to the resolution detailing exactly what the SA would condemn if it were passed. In the original text, violations of the entire Code of Conduct would be subject to public condemnation by the SA. The amendment specified that violations spoken of in the legal preamble of the resolution would be targeted for public response.

Caroline Monnes, MCAS ’19, argued that the resolution’s content is outside the SA’s jurisdiction.

“The administration already affirmed the Code of Conduct,” Monnes said. “The Student Assembly affirming the Code of Conduct doesn’t really make any sense.”

Szeremenyi thought the resolution would allow the SA to fulfill one of its responsibilities.

“The first part of [the SA’s] Constitution, the Preamble, says that it is our responsibility to inform students of issues that may be of their concern,” he said. “I believe these are issues of their concern, so I think it is entirely under [the SA’s] jurisdiction.”

Featured Image by Alex Gaynor / Heights Staff