Women's Basketball

Previewing 2017-18 Women’s Basketball: Notre Dame

Boston College women’s basketball faces its stiffest test on Sunday, traveling to Indiana to face No. 2 Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish (15-1, 4-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) are coming off of their first loss of the season, a blowout in Louisville, and are looking to bounce back.

Meanwhile, the Eagles (6-10, 1-2 ACC) are just 1-6 on the road and will be facing their first ranked opponent of the season.

Who is BC playing?
Notre Dame

When is BC playing?
Sunday, Jan. 14, 1 p.m.

Where is BC playing?
Purcell Pavilion, Notre Dame, Ind.

How to watch:
The game will be broadcasted on ACC Network Extra and available on WatchESPN.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) The Eagles have had an abundance of injuries and illnesses and, as a result, have played nine different starting lineups through 16 games this season.

2) Georgia Pineau has been a steady contributor for BC, averaging 11 points and eight rebounds per game.

3) Road struggles have plagued the Eagles this season, as they’ve lost five of six away from the friendly confines of Conte Forum.

Notre Dame:

1) Both of the Irish’s losses have been to top-three teams—they’ve lost to No. 1 UConn and No. 3 Louisville.

2) Notre Dame is coming off a 33-point loss to the Cardinals, a game in which the Irish allowed 100 or more points for the first time since 1998.

3) The Irish rank 15th in the country in scoring offense, averaging 83.4 points per game.

Last Meeting:

Notre Dame hosted the Eagles in their third-to-last game of the regular season and rolled to a 82-45 win. Lindsay Allen set the pace in the 37-point blowout on Senior Night, leading the way with 18 points, six rebounds, and eight assists. BC was led by Mariella Fasoula, who scored 14 points in the loss.

BC wins if…

A miracle occurs. It’s hard to see the Eagles knocking off the second-ranked team in the country, especially when they’re facing a motivated Irish squad that’s coming off a setback. BC averages almost 20 points less per game than Notre Dame, so a ridiculous shooting night from beyond the arc and an inspiring defensive effort is the only way it has a chance.

BC loses if…

Notre Dame plays at its normal level. Arike Ogunbowale averages over 20 points per game, and the Irish offense is more than capable of cruising to a win. Since joining the ACC in 2005, the Eagles have beaten Notre Dame just once, so an upset on the Irish’s home court is unlikely.

Featured Image by Kaitlin Meeks / Heights Editor