Hendrix Recording of ‘Mannish Boy’ Uncovered, New Music from Troye Sivan and Justin Timberlake

“Mannish Boy”- Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix released an energetic cover of Muddy Waters’ iconic “Mannish Boy” on Jan. 16. Hendrix, who died in 1970, originally cut the song in New York on April 22, 1969, according to Rolling Stone. The five-minute recording differs greatly from Muddy Waters’ 1955 slow-building song and demonstrates Hendrix’s remarkable ability to completely rework a slow song with his trademark lively guitar riffs and vibrant vocal style. While Hendrix holds onto the original lyrics of the song that references Muddy Waters’ works “Hoochie Coochie Man” and “Rollin’ Stone,” he completely morphs the blues beat into a rock jam. The icon relies heavily on intricate riffs fit only for the legendary guitarist’s unmatched skill and unique persona. Keeping in tune with the lighthearted spirit of the recording, Hendrix sings along to the sound of his guitar during the sped up Muddy Waters riffs throughout the song. A loud drummer races along with Hendrix’s quick hands for this rendition of “Mannish Boy,” another departure from the blues style of the original track. The single is part of a larger Hendrix vault album project titled Both Sides of the Sky, expected to be released in March.

“The Good Side”- Troye Sivan

“The Good Side,” Troye Sivan’s single released on Jan. 18, seamlessly meshes a soft acoustic sound with breaks of shattered techno beats. The song opens and ends with a mysterious Stranger Things-esque twinkling sound that weaves its way through the song. Sivan’s soft voice is the perfect complement to the synthetic sounds and steady acoustic guitar as he rhymes “sympathize,” “recognize,” and “apologize” in the chorus. Sivan paints pictures of the past with an estranged lover when he recalls, “My fingers danced and swayed in the breeze / The change in the wind took you down to your knees.” Taking on an apologetic tone, the song focuses on the guilt Sivan feels in experiencing “the good side” of a break up and being able to move on more quickly than his lover.

“Supplies”- Justin Timberlake

Plotting a return to music after the 2013 album The 20/20 Experience, Justin Timberlake released his second single of 2018 on Jan. 18. Titled “Supplies,” the song’s chorus repeats, “I got supplie-ie-ies” over an oriental beat with a reoccuring purring ad-lib. During the pre-chorus, Timberlake hilariously raps “The world could end now / Baby, we’ll be living in The Walking Dead.” Timberlake abandons the use of his impressive vocal range and fun pop beats on “Supplies,” a fatal error for the single.

Featured Image by Capitol Records