UGBC Issues Statement Clarifying Proposed Impeachment Resolution

The Undergraduate Government of Boston College (UGBC) issued a statement Sunday evening clarifying the circumstances surrounding its resolution entitled “Articles of Impeachment of Stephen DiPietro, MCAS ’19.” The statement delved into the consequences that the resolution would have had if it had come before the Student Assembly (SA). The resolution, if passed, would have initiated Court of Impeachment proceedings, but would not have resulted in DiPietro’s immediate impeachment.

“This past Sunday [sic], a few senators sent out a resolution to the Student Assembly that brought forward articles of impeachment against Former Senator Stephen DiPietro who was Former Director of the Mental Health Committee,” the statement read.

It should be noted that the resolution was sent out on Saturday Feb. 17, not Sunday Feb. 18.

DiPietro, the former director of the Mental Health Committee, posted on Facebook in response to the results of the UGBC presidential election the following: “Good thing those blm freaks aren’t anywhere near ugbc leadership #staywoke #yacoubian.” The UGBC statement indicated this was a clear reference to presidential candidate Taraun Frontis, CSOM ’19; executive vice presidential candidate Aneeb Sheikh, MCAS ’20; and their supporters.

“The Student Assembly strong [sic] condemns this prejudicial public statement made against fellow members of our Undergraduate Government and the student body, which not only violated the UGBC constitution and Boston College Code of Conduct, but also impugned the integrity of our deliberative body and undermined the community standards and decorum senators are expected to uphold among their colleagues,” the statement read.

What followed were details in regards to DiPietro’s resignation. Although DiPietro resigned before the resolution could be voted on, the SA felt the need to detail the impeachment process. The explanation cited the opinions of constituents being the driving force behind the introduction of the resolution, but voting in favor of the resolution would not have immediately resulted in DiPietro’s resignation. Instead, a Court of Impeachment would have been called and a longer process would have begun.

A final paragraph encouraged the community to more actively participate in the work that UGBC does by coming to SA and general meetings and talking to senators representing readers’ constituencies.

Sheikh; senator and Executive Vice President-elect Ignacio Fletcher, MCAS ’20; Samuel Szemerenyi, MCAS ’20, Ibrahima Mbaye, MCAS ’20; and Connor Kratz, MCAS ’18 all co-sponsored the resolution. The Heights issued an editorial last week criticizing the choice to begin the impeachment process.

Matt Batsinelas, former UGBC senator and CSOM ’19 resigned in solidarity with DiPietro. The two students claimed in statements issued to The Heights that they did so due to actions UGBC and The Heights have taken to, in the words of Batsinelas, “promote a hypersensitive campus climate that has created an intolerant student body to opposing viewpoints.”

Batsinelas also accused UGBC and The Heights of “encouraging the harassment of students who threaten the current structure of UGBC.”

Featured Image by Sam Zhai / Heights Staff