“44 More” and More in New Singles This Week

“44 More” – Logic

Not many rappers try to instigate positive change in the world as much as Logic does.  For example, in April of last year, he released his track “1-800-273-8255,” which is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number, in order to increase awareness for suicide prevention, and it now has over 544 million streams on Spotify. This was the song that Logic, along with Khalid and Alessia Cara, performed at the 2018 Grammys. Last week he released “44 More,” which also contains some social commentary.  This single is the first solo release by Logic since his album, Everybody, in May 2017. He references the lavish lifestyles of many rappers, saying, “You in the club throwin’ dollars, but I’m savin’ mine so my kids go to college / Just as long as they never say ‘Daddy blew 20 million dollars / He had to flex to be acknowledged / He in the club throwin’ dollars and now cannot afford to send me to college.’” Logic’s newest release, “44 More” is the sequel to the artist’s hit song, “44 Bars,” on which the performer, unsurprisingly, raps 44 bars. The track is packed with meaningful lyrics, as he raps on it with high speed and precision. Logic weaves words over an engaging beat, full of hi-hats and 808s. This fast rapping style isn’t for everyone, but there’s no denying the talent it requires.

“Drama (feat. Big Data)” – NoMBe

NoMBe (Noah McBeth) returned last week with a new collaboration with Big Data.  His distinctive whispery voice is definitely present, and it’s a very danceable track in traditional NoMBe fashion, even though it sounds disappointingly similar to the rest of his catalog of blending electro-pop and funk.  The rhythm guitar is particularly prominent and impressive during the chorus in which it settles into some staccato chucking, which seems to be two separate recordings panned to either side.  For that reason, “Drama” is best when heard through headphones or surround-sound speakers in order to pick up on all the nuances.

“Minimum Wage” – Taylor Bennett

Taylor Bennett gets overshadowed by his much more prominent and established older brother, Chance the Rapper, but he makes a statement and shows off his talent with the release of his catchy new track “Minimum Wage.”  It’s reminiscent of Chance’s music in respect to both his vocal tone and the track’s easy-listening, upbeat quality, but it shouldn’t be overlooked or overshadowed for its similarities.

Featured Image by Def Jam Recordings