Spring, Softball

Previewing 2018 Softball: Ole Miss, Mississippi State

Boston College softball is off to its worst start since 2013, dropping nine of its first 14 games. But the Eagles’ (5-9) record could just as easily be flipped. Six of BC’s nine losses have been decided by two runs or less, including three extra-inning defeats. There’s also something to be said about the quality of opponents that head coach Ashley Obrest’s team has faced. The Eagles have already suited up against No. 9 Texas A&M and pair of teams receiving votes in ESPN.com/U.S.A Softball’s rankings, Nebraska and Texas State.

Unfortunately for BC, it has a couple more marquee opponents lined up—the Eagles kick off their seven-game road trip with back-to-back games against No. 15 Ole Miss (13-3) and a 16-win Mississippi State team (16-3). Considering that the two SEC schools are a combined 18-2 at home this season, the odds are heavily stacked against BC. Whatever happens, history will be made—after all, the programs have never met before.   

Who is BC playing?

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

When is BC playing?

Tuesday, March 6, 7 p.m.

Wednesday, March 7, 7 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Ole Miss Softball Complex, Oxford, Miss.

Nusz Park, Starkville, Miss.

How to Watch:

Tuesday’s game will be livestreamed through Ole Miss’ team website, and Wednesday’s contest will be broadcasted on WatchESPN.

Probable Starters:

Tuesday: BC RHP Jessica Dreswick vs. Ole Miss RHP Kaitlin Lee

Wednesday: BC RHP Allyson Frei vs. Mississippi State RHP Holly Ward

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Dreswick and Frei have teamed up to throw all but one inning of play this season. Once again on pace to shatter the 200-inning mark, Dreswick leads the charge with 57 frames in the circle. Frei is right behind her with 45.2 innings on the year. Both pitchers have registered ERAs below 2.5, but neither has a record to really show for it.

2) The Eagles have the fifth-worst fielding percentage in the ACC (.958) and have committed 19 errors this season—mistakes that have cost BC seven unearned runs in the early going.

3) Shortstop Chloe Sharabba is the only Eagle hitting over .350, let alone .300. The senior is blowing the rest of her teammates out of the water with 17 hits, four doubles, two home runs, and 11 runs scored.  

Ole Miss:

1) The Rebels have been scoring 5.1 runs per game this year, in large part thanks to Elantra Cox, Autumn Gillespie, and Alex Schneider, all of whom are hitting over .300 and have crossed the plate eight or more times.

2) Collectively, Ole Miss has the 27th-lowest ERA (1.62) in the country.

3) Third baseman Amanda Roth is only batting .238 this year, but of late, her on-base percentage has been off the charts. During the Ole Miss Classic, the freshman recorded an astounding .833 average, reaching base safely in 10 of her 11 at-bats.

Mississippi State:

1) During the Bulldogs’ current four-game win streak, they have plated an average of 6.75 runs per game, outscoring their opponents, 27-4.

2) Mississippi State has the 23rd-highest batting average in college softball—in fact, its top-six hitters are all posting above-.300 averages.  

3) Catcher Mia Davidson is the heart and soul of the Bulldogs’ offense. Not only is she batting .410, but she’s also logged a team-best 19 runs, 25 hits, five home runs, and 15 RBIs.

Featured Image by Shaan Bijwadia / Heights Staff