Spring, Softball

Previewing 2018 Softball: Virginia

Following three close losses to Duke last weekend, Boston College softball (9-15, 0-3 Atlantic Coast) is hoping to clinch its first conference win of the season over the weekend against Virginia. It’s been a rocky opening month for the Eagles, who are off to their worst start since 2013. After dropping three games—all of which were decided by just one run—in Durham, the Eagles could easily get back on track in a pseudo home series against UVA (9-19, 1-5), which is coming off a split weekend against ACC rival Syracuse. BC took two of the three games in last year’s series and now has a 17-13 edge on UVA, all-time. With the location of the games being moved to Merrimack College in North Andover, Mass., it’s the first time the two teams have met each other on neutral territory.

Who is BC playing?

Virginia

When is BC playing?

Friday, March 23, 12:00 p.m.

Friday, March 23, 2:00 p.m.

Saturday, March 24, 2:00 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Martone-Mejail Field, North Andover, Mass.

How to watch:

The live stats for all three games can be followed on BCEagles.com.

Probable stars:

RHP Jessica Dreswick (7-8) vs. RHP Lacy Smith (5-5)

RHP Allyson Frei (2-7) vs. RHP Erika Osherow (4-9)

By the numbers:

BC:

1) The Eagles have a combined ERA of 2.33 and give up an average of 2.15 runs per game.

2) Senior Jessica Dreswick has an ERA of 2.4 and recently tossed a complete game against Duke, in which she allowed only four hits. She’s currently tied for seventh in BC history with Britney Thompson, BC ’07, in complete games.

3) Junior Lexi DiEmmanuele has an overall batting average of .265 and is on a a four-game hitting streak. She led her team with five hits in its weekend series against Duke.

UVA:

1) The Cavaliers have a combined ERA of 5.45 and give up an average of 4.17 runs per game.

2) Junior Lacy Smith has a batting average of .300 and plays as both a third baseman and pitcher. Her ERA is 4.07, the best on the team. Throughout her time at UVA she has 13 home runs, including five so far this season.

3) Senior Allison Davis has a batting average of .427 and has recorded a hit 41 of the 96 times she has stepped up to the plate this year. She’s an All-ACC Academic team member and leads her team with 29 runs scored. Her nine home runs match her previous career high and are good for second in the ACC.

Last Meeting:

Last March, the Eagles headed down to Charlottesville for a weekend series and came out on top of UVA in two of three games. In the series finale, Allyson Murphy approached the batter’s box with the bases loaded and the score tied at three. She blasted a triple to push the Eagles ahead of their ACC rival to secure the win.

BC wins if:

Dreswick can further her momentum. One of the top pitchers in the ACC, the senior has already recorded 96 strikeouts this season and is posting the lowest ERA of her career. Another seven-inning performance coupled with early scoring could be just what the Eagles need to get in the ACC win column.

BC loses if:

It lets UVA take an early lead. Once the Cavaliers get rolling, they’re hard to stop. Despite BC having somewhat of a home-field advantage, the Eagles are far from safe. In fact, of UVA’s 13 victories over BC, seven have come on the road. A scoring spurt in the opening three innings of any of the weekend’s games could be all the Cavaliers need to throw off the Eagles’ aces in the circle and steal the series.

Featured Image by Julia Hopkins / Heights Senior Staff