Swing Spectacular Dazzles With Artistic Acrobatics

Boston College Full Swing packed the Rat for a night of flips, jumps, and twirls. The eight-song set featured talented dancers who captivated the audience with their ability to seemingly fly over the stage and do flips in midair.

The show started off with a performance of “Another Day of Sun,” which many people recognized to be the first song in La La Land (the traffic scene). The performance, coordinated by Sierra Acosta, MCAS ’19; Matt Morris, CSOM ’19; and Kathleen Flaherty, MCAS ’19, was whimsical and bright—the female dancers all sported a rainbow of primary colors as they stepped onstage with steering wheels in hand. The male dancers donned white costumes, allowing the vivid brightness of their female counterparts to really pop. “Another Day in the Sun” ended with lots of midair flipping, timed and coordinated perfectly.

“You’re the One that I Want,” the Grease classic, was exceptionally fun. It was choreographed by Anna Grabovac, MCAS ’18 and Dave Somers, CSOM ’18. The girls donned “Pink Ladies” jackets as they walked onstage, complete with red bandanas around their necks. A few seconds into the dance, the jackets came off to reveal sleek, all-black outfits. The audience cheered on as their friends were swooped into the air and stuck their landings perfectly. The girls were being tossed and swung in every which way during this performance, but the whole group pulled it off with ease.

The third performance of the night, choreographed by Elizabeth Attaya, MCAS ’18; Tara Coffey, MCAS ’20; and Erica Osiecki, LSOE ’18, was to “San Francisco,” sung by The Mowgli’s. The old-fashioned number was charming and sweet. It was the only all-girl number of the night, featuring bright colors and a fast-paced beat. After “San Francisco” came a guest appearance by the dance team Conspiracy Theory.

Smiles appeared all over when the audience heard the first few chords of The Beatles’ “I Saw Her Standing There.” The number consisted of freshmen alone and was choreographed by Jason Rothstein, CSOM ’19 and Ashley Stauber, MCAS ’20. The girls’ costumes were black and white, and the boys donned suspenders and bow ties. Although this set might have had a bit of a slow start, it picked up by the end. Before the audience knew it, the dancers were spinning and gliding through the air.

What would a BC event be if it didn’t feature a song by The Killers? The sixth performance of the night was set to “Human” and choreographed by Kate Bade, MCAS ’20 and William Stone, MCAS ’19. The girls wore black ballet skirts, and the boys wore matching vests. The lyrics of the song, specifically the line “Are we human or are we dancers?” made for a dramatic performance.

The Jack and Jill set was made up of multiple short partner dances. The winners of the competition got a prize (a White Mountain gift card). Each couple had a different set of costumes, but they were all coordinated well. There was a variety of songs performed, ranging from Andy Grammer’s “Honey I’m Good” to “Goofy Goober Rock” from The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, from Chubby Checker’s “Let’s Twist Again” to “Treasure” by Bruno Mars. The audience cheered loudly for all the contestants who had clearly practiced their performances until they knew them absolutely perfectly.

The show ended with a mix from Hercules, complete with togas and other costumes from the movie. This set incorporated songs such as “Sorry Not Sorry” by Demi Lovato and “Crazy Train” by Ozzy Osbourne. The performance was chaotic and busy—many people in the audience seemed confused by the dialogue, taken from the movie—but the dancers knew what they were doing. They flipped and twirled through the air, simulating fights and battles in the most artistic way possible.

Featured Image by Jake Evans / Heights Staff