News, On Campus, Top Story, Administration

BCPD Chief John King to Retire in August

John King, executive director for public safety and chief of the Boston College Police Department, has announced that he will retire on Aug. 31, after working for the BC community for eight years, according to a University release.

His retirement marks the end of a 45-year career in collegiate policing at universities such as Tufts, Bentley, and Northeastern. At BC, he has led successful accreditation and reaccreditation efforts, which have helped BCPD embrace practices that guide conduct, processes, and systems within the department. King also led implementation of a campus security upgrade in residence halls and academic and administrative buildings. He also led the effort to merge BCPD and the offices of Environmental Health and Safety and Emergency Management into one public safety organization, a key enhancement to campus safety and security.

“It was an outstanding privilege to be part of the Boston College community, working with the great staff in BCPD and folks within the BC administration in an atmosphere of mutual friendship and collaboration,” King said. “We were able to work together to problem-solve and keep the community safe. It has been a wonderful experience.”

He told BC News that he was proud of the efforts he has led to improve outreach to the BC community, enhance relationships with students, faculty, and staff, and professionalize operations through extensive training and quality staffing.

King has received praise from both the BC community and beyond it for his service. Financial Vice President and Treasurer John Burke thanked him for his service, saying that he built a police department that is looked at as one of “the best in higher education.”

David J. Bousquet, president of the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement (IACLEA), called King  “a legend” within campus policing, according to BC News.

“During his four decades of service he has been a mentor to many current chiefs and directors, including me,” Bousquet said to BC News. “I would not be the current President of IACLEA if it weren’t for the guidance and support that I have received from this extraordinary leader. I wish John all the best in his well-deserved retirement, but am hopeful he will stay close by as a permanent advisor to the IACLEA association.”

King said that he will continue to provide consultation with police departments and other associations that need his assistance.

“I am looking forward to the future, though I know I will miss coming to this beautiful campus every day,” he said to BC News. “When you work with a great group of people as I have at BC, you establish relationships that are not just professional. You care about them and their families. I will miss those relationships and being a part of this welcoming Jesuit community.”

Featured Image via BC News