Sports, Fall, Field Hockey

Previewing 2018 Field Hockey: ACC/Big Ten Cup Vs. Maryland

Fresh off a dominant season-opening win over Quinnipiac, Boston College field hockey has a tougher test in store, as it hits the road for the annual ACC/Big Ten Cup. The No. 13 Eagles (1-0) first face off against a familiar opponent in No. 4 Maryland (3-0). Both teams have enjoyed good starts to the season, and this contest should serve as BC’s first real test of 2018 before the always difficult conference schedule rolls around.

Who is BC playing?
Maryland

When is BC playing?
Friday, Aug. 31, 7 p.m.

Where is BC playing?
Maryland Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex, College Park, Md.

How to Watch:
The game will be livestreamed online on btn2go.com, and live stats will be available from sidearm stats.

By the Numbers:
BC:

1) The Eagles are no strangers to good starts. Friday’s win marked the 11th-straight year that BC has kicked off the season with a victory.

2) BC returns its top five goal scorers—Fusine Govaert, Lucy Lytle, Brooke Matherson, Jaime Natale, and Elizabeth Warner—from the 2017 season.

3) Thanks to the blowout win over Quinnipiac, BC is now second in the NCAA in both points per game and scoring margin.

Maryland:

1) The Terrapins currently hold a 12-11 all-time record against the Eagles, although BC did win the most recent meeting between the two teams, just this past year.

2) Maryland currently holds the No. 4 spot in the NFHCA coaches poll, but also received more first place votes (4-1) than No. 3 Duke.

3) The Terrapins enjoyed a dominant trip to the West Coast to begin their season, outscoring Pacific, California, and UC Davis by a combined score of 14-1.

Last Meeting:
The teams last met during the 2017 ACC/Big Ten Cup. BC recorded a 2-1 upset victory over the then-No.6 Terrapins, in large part because of its excellent defensive play and a pair of goals, courtesy of Govaert and Caroline McGovern.

Outlook:
The Eagles have a tough weekend ahead, with their Friday night tilt against the Terrapins followed by a date with another ranked opponent in No. 12 Northwestern on Monday. BC’s success against Maryland will depend on how well its defense performs against the Terrapins’ dynamic offensive duo of Nike Lorenz and Linnea Gonzales—who, together, have logged a total of nine goals through the first three games of the season. If the Eagles’ back line can hold steady, they should have a good chance of pulling another upset in College Park.

Featured Image by Celine Lim / Heights Editor

August 31, 2018