Hockey, Men's Hockey

Previewing 2018-19 Men’s Hockey: New Brunswick

Boston College men’s hockey prepares to bounce back from missing the NCAA tournament last season—the second year in a row for the program—with an exhibition game against New Brunswick on Saturday afternoon. This will be the Eagles’ first time taking the ice since being eliminated in the Hockey East semifinals by Boston University.

The Varsity Reds, a member of Canada’s Atlantic University Sport conference, will be playing its third game of the season after starting 2-0. UNB finished 24-2-4 last season, good enough to place first in their conference and it went on to earn a bronze medal in the University Cup.

Who is BC playing?

New Brunswick

When is BC playing?

Saturday, Oct. 6, 7 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Kelley Rink, Chestnut Hill, Mass.

How to Watch/Listen:

Live stats will be available via Sidearm Stats.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) The majority of the Eagles’ attack is returning, paced by returning Hockey East Rookie of the Year Logan Hutsko. The program ranks second or third in the country in returning goals, returning points, and the returning percentage of both.

2) BC went 14-4-2 last season when scoring three or more goals. On the flip side, the Eagles went just 6-9-1 when scoring less than three goals. Low-scoring, close matchups didn’t go BC’s way, so the Eagles’ group of dangerous forwards will be key in this matchup.

3) The Eagles start the year ranked 12th in the nation after finishing last season at 19th. The team will look to move up the rankings as the season progresses, as since finishing third in 2015-16, they’ve slipped the following two years.

UNB:

1) Starting goaltender Rylan Parenteau gave up seven goals in his first two games, earning him a place on the bench—he was pulled for backup Alex Dubeau in the second period of their most recent game. Dubeau saved all nine shots that came his way and is the likely starter.

2) Fortunately for the Varsity Reds, the goalkeeping struggles have yet to hurt them, as the offense was able to score four and five goals in their first two games, respectively. The attack helped keep this team undefeated in the early goings of the season.

3) UNB has only given up 42 shots this season, compared to averaging 41.5 per game on the opposite end. The Reds have a high-powered attack that dominates the puck for much of the game and keeps their goalies from seeing much action.

Last Meeting:

The Eagles and the Varsity Reds faced off in the same exhibition game last year, which saw BC walk away with a 4-2 victory. All four goals for the Eagles were scored by returning players, while just one of New Brunswick’s two scorers is back this season.

BC wins if…

The offense is able to produce. The Eagles are returning the majority of their major offensive contributors and are the benefactors of an influx of youth talent in the forward lines. However, the first game back on the ice could mean shaking off some rust for the attack and building chemistry with a new mix of players.

BC loses if…

It’s unable to dominate the puck. Even an equal amount of possession time should be enough for the Eagles, as the Varsity Reds thrive on dominating the puck and keeping the action away from their goalie. If BC can’t put up as many shots as UNB,it will be hard to take advantage of  noticeable weakness at goalkeeper.

Featured Image by Julia Hopkins / Heights Senior Staff