Fall, Men's Soccer

Previewing 2018 Men’s Soccer: No. 2 Wake Forest

After back-to-back wins over North Carolina State and Harvard, Boston College men’s soccer (4-3-3, 2-3 Atlantic Coast) will face No. 2 Wake Forest (12-1, 4-1) away in Winston Salem, N.C. on Friday night. The Eagles have had a rocky season, but have stepped it up in their last two games. Nevertheless, BC will have to bring its best game on Friday against the Demon Deacons, who have won the last five meetings between the two teams. Not to mention, Wake Forest is a national powerhouse which has consistently been ranked inside the nation’s top five, dating back to the 2016 season, and restocked the cupboard with the second-best recruiting class in the country this past offseason. The Eagles could have a tough time keeping up with the Demon Deacons.

Who is BC playing?

Wake Forest

When is BC playing?

Friday, Oct. 11th, 8 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Spry Stadium, Winston-Salem, N.C.

How to Watch:

The match is available to watch on ACC Network Extra and RSN.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Simon Enstrom has accounted for more than half of the Eagles’ offense in 2018, scoring eight of the team’s 14 goals. On Tuesday against Harvard, he scored BC’s fastest goal of the season in the second minute, a tally that marked his fourth game-winning goal of the season.

2) The Eagles have seven different players with at least one assist, including Antonio Chavez Borrelli, who just recorded the first assist of his career against Harvard. BC also has a total of 10 players with at least one point.

3) With the victory over the Crimson, Chavez Borrelli and the Eagles have run their shutout streak up to 180 minutes, which marks the longest BC has gone without conceding since it managed to keep back-to-back clean sheets against Quinnipiac and Boston University in August 2017.

Wake Forest:

1) In the Demon Deacons’ last game against High Point, Omir Fernandez matched his career high of five points, nabbing two goals and one assist.

2) Wake Forest held a 16-6 advantage in shots over High Point, notably out-shooting the Panthers 9-2 in the second half. It also took seven corners to High Point’s none.

3) The Demon Deacons are led at the back by Andreu Cases Mundet, who has played every minute this season for Wake and is conceding just 0.99 goals per-game.

Last Meeting:

The Eagles and Demon Deacons met last year on Oct. 21, 2017. Wake Forest won the Atlantic Division bout, 4-0. It leads the all-time series 8-5-2 against BC. Since 2013, the Demon Deacons have won five-straight meetings, outscoring the Eagles with a 16-1 margin.

BC wins if…

It takes advantage of every opportunity it gets. Wake Forest is a very tough opponent and a few mistakes could cost the Eagles the game. BC will have to keep control of the ball and play consistently, taking good shots and executing well to find the back of the net and keep up with the potent Wake Forest attack. Defensively, the Eagles must be alert and communicative, and Chavez Borrelli will have to be at his best in goal against one of the most dangerous offenses in the country.

BC loses if…

It can’t keep up with Wake Forest’s quick play. The Demon Deacons entered halftime, leading, 2-0, against High Point on Tuesday and continued to dominate in the second half. The Demon Deacons are very consistent and are good at maintaining possession throughout the course of the entire match. They have the second-highest winning percentage in the nation and lead the country with 38 goals. If BC’s stars aren’t disciplined, they will not have a shot to keep pace with Wake Forest. The Eagles have to stay energized throughout the second half. Anything less will make an already difficult road encounter nearly impossible to win.

Featured Image by Jonathan Ye / Heights Editor