Women's Hockey

Previewing 2018-19 Women’s Hockey: Providence

No. 5 Boston College women’s hockey (8-2, 5-0 Hockey East) enters its first matchup against Providence (5-2, 2-1) this season riding an eight-game win streak. The Eagles outscored the Friars, 15-6, last season and will look to keep the upper hand. BC will be playing at Schneider Arena Saturday afternoon, a rink in which the Eagles prevailed the last time the two teams faced each other. Both teams have dropped a pair of games this year, but BC is the only remaining team in the conference that has yet to lose a Hockey East bout.

Who is BC playing?

Providence

Where is BC playing?

Schneider Arena, Providence, R.I.

When is BC playing?

Saturday, Nov. 3, 3 p.m.

How to watch?

The game will be livestreamed on friars.com/watch.

By the numbers:

BC:

1) During their eight-game winning streak, the Eagles have scored 27 goals.

2) BC has won every home game so far this season by at least one goal, averaging three scoring plays per game.

3) The Eagles have attempted at least 25 shots on goal every game this season.

Providence:

1) The Friars are averaging 2.8 goals per game—0.2 less than the Eagles.

2) Providence has scored 13 goals and conceded just four on its home ice this season, all while preserving a perfect record at Schneider Arena.

3) The Friars have alternated between two goaltenders thus far. On average, Madison Meyers has allowed one goal per game, and Sandra Abstreiter has given up four goals per game.

Last meeting:

The Eagles met the Friars three times last season, outscoring their New England counterpart each game—the most recent of which, on Jan. 27, 2018, was when the Eagles clinched the Hockey East regular season title and its 17th win of the season. Then-senior goaltender Katie Burt earned her 155th career win and became the NCAA’s all-time winningest netminder, taking the throne from Minnesota’s Noora Raty, who held the title since 2012-13. Within the first five minutes of the game, the Eagles established a two-goal lead over the Friars—one that they held into the second period. Both teams entered the final frame one a player down, due to second-period penalties. Providence’s then-junior Christina Putinga scored the team’s only goal of the game, just as BC’s penalty was ending.

Outlook:

The Eagles will look to carry their momentum into Saturday. They have played more games than Providence at this point in the season and since the opening weekend have looked like a 30-plus win team. The Friars have showed some home rink advantage, winning all three games played on their ice, but the Eagles have proved they are capable of taking that away. Given their track record against Providence last season, this game provides BC with an opportunity to extend its winning streak to nine games.

Featured Image by Sam Zhai / Heights Staff