Hockey, Men's Hockey

Previewing 2018-19 Men’s Hockey: Vermont

Boston College men’s hockey looks to continue to make up lost ground on Thursday and Friday night, as it hosts Vermont for a two-game series. The Eagles (1-5, 1-1 Hockey East) seek to pick up where they left off after defeating Merrimack to claim their first victory of the season. Vermont (3-3, 1-2) is coming off a thrilling overtime win against Connecticut and enters Chestnut Hill with confidence. This weekend shapes up to be a pivotal early season battle between Hockey East foes.

Who is BC Playing?

Vermont

When is BC Playing?

Thursday, Nov. 8, 7 p.m.

Friday, Nov. 9, 7 p.m.

Where is BC Playing?

Kelley Rink, Chestnut Hill, Mass.

How to Watch:

Both games will be available to stream on WatchESPN and aired on WEEI 850 AM.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) David Cotton’s eight points are five more than any other Eagle has recorded this season. Cotton is one of only two players in the nation with multiple four-point games. His most recent four-point performance led to him being named Hockey East Player of the Week.

2) BC has six skaters with at least one goal on the season. Yet, Cotton is the only player with more than one goal. BC’s 1.67 goals per game ranks last in Hockey East.

3) Despite starting the season at 1-5, BC has only been outshot in one game. In total, BC has recorded 178 shots on the season, compared to its opponents’ 174.

Vermont:

1) Sophomore forward Alex Esposito paces Vermont’s attack with a team-leading three goals on the season. Esposito contributed two goals in Vermont’s season-opening upset over Michigan.

2) Vermont possesses a stingy defense, as it has not allowed more than one goal in each of its past three contests. The Catamounts own the second-best scoring defense in Hockey East.

3) Vermont does a great job of limiting mistakes. The Catamounts only spend 7.3 minutes per game in the penalty box, the fewest in Hockey east.

Last Meeting:

BC is unbeaten in its last seven meetings against Vermont and own a 45-16-7 record overall against the Catamounts. The two teams last met on Nov. 11, 2017, with the Eagles winning, 5-1, on the road. BC has outscored Vermont by a combined score of 23-8 in the Hockey East foes’ last four matchups.

Outlook:

This weekend is vital for the Eagles. If BC wants any chance to salvage its season, it must make the most of its home games against teams near the bottom of Hockey East. The Eagles have a clear talent advantage over Vermont, yet have failed to show their true ability this season. Considering BC’s struggling offense and Vermont’s tight defense, this looks to be a low-scoring affair. The Eagles have the potential to erupt offensively at any time, but if it doesn’t happen against the Catamounts, there’s no saying that their offensive challenges won’t carry into the heart of the 2018-19 campaign.

Featured Image by Kaitlin Meeks / Heights Editor