Ariana Grande Pens “thank u” Letter, More in Singles

“thank u, next” – Ariana Grande

Not many people exit a relationship feeling positive and grateful, but Ariana Grande does. She released “thank u, next” essentially as a thank-you letter to all her ex-boyfriends who taught her valuable lessons. Plus, her line “One taught me love / One taught me patience / And one taught me pain” has inspired memes both on and off campus. In some of the BC-specific memes, photos of certain BC faculty members, administrators, and buildings are assigned to each element (one ranks Kerry Cronin, Lower Dining Hall, and University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J.).

The memes are probably the best thing to come from “thank u, next” though—Grande stays subdued and does not reach the full potential of her voice, resulting in a song that’s pretty far from exciting. All of the accompaniment supporting her voice sounds muffled, which is acceptable for a pop song in which the star’s voice is meant to demand all the attention, but this song needs a little something more. There’s nothing too special about the chorus, and the song would probably be better saved for background music.

“POP/STARS” – K/DA

League of Legends virtual group K/DA brings the heat with the new League of Legends song, “POP/STARS.”  It’s a full-on electronic pop anthem replete with upbeat ecstatic energy. The song features (G)I-DLE, Madison Beer, and Jaira Burns, and it’s the epitome of the modern pump-up song: Catchy lyrics include “Ain’t nobody bringin’ us down down down” and “They could try but we’re gonna wear the crown.” Even those who don’t play League of Legends will fall in love with this new release.

“HEY” – Bel Heir

3.5 Stars

“HEY” is the new single from Philadephia-based indie rock trio Bel Heir, and it’s a modern pop rock song through and through. The lead singer’s slightly raspy voice will pull listeners in, it’s highly danceable, and it’s driven by bright, clean guitar parts à la WALK THE MOON. The track runs with low-stakes lyrics and a chorus that “I love this, I love this, I love this,” before lamenting “I can’t turn this record down.”

Featured Image by Republic Records