Fall, Volleyball

Previewing 2018 Volleyball: Virginia Tech

Boston College volleyball (13-14, 3-12 Atlantic Coast) will look to claim a victory on the road against Virginia Tech (14-13, 5-10) following its 3-0 home loss earlier this month. The Eagles have struggled to win more than one set in nine of the last 10 games. As part of Senior Day, BC will honor seniors Camille Oemcke, McKenna Goss, and Natalie Canulli for their accomplishments at BC.

Who is BC playing?

Virginia Tech

When is BC playing?

Friday, Nov. 16, 7:30 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Power Gym at Conte Forum, Chestnut Hill, Mass.

How to watch:

The game will be livestreamed on ACC Network Extra.

By the numbers:

BC:

1) The Eagles are 2-10 on the road this year, but their defense has been relatively consistent, posting 1,448 digs on the year—62 more than their opponents.

2) Junior Cat Balido leads the team on offense with 246 kills, accounting for almost 20 percent of the team’s kill total.

3) The Eagles won, 3-1, against the Hokies last season, scoring 93 points in a four-set thriller.

VTech:

1) The Hokies are 8-4 at home this year, averaging 59.9 points per win.

2) Sophomore Kaity Smith leads the team with 3.91 points per set and 331 kills this season.

3) VTech’s last ACC matchup was a 3-2 loss to Virginia.

Last meeting:

The teams last met in Blacksburg on Nov. 5. The Hokies swept the Eagles, 3-0, dominating all three sets of play. BC held an 8-6 advantage early in the first set but was quickly outscored by VTech and couldn’t regain its lead for the rest of the match. Sophomore Claire Naughton and freshman Jewel Strawberry led the Eagles with eight kills each.

Outlook:

BC is looking to snap its five-game losing streak with a win over VTech tonight. The Eagles have played strong defense this season, but will need to up the ante on offense in order to secure a victory. Despite losing to VTech on Nov. 4, BC’s four-set win against the team last season proves that it has potential to turn the tables and tie last season’s ACC win total on Friday night.

Featured Image by Celine Lim / Heights Editor