Beanpot Team Capsule: Boston College Women’s Hockey

boston college women's hockey

Numbers to Know:

Record: 19-9, 16-7 HEA, 10th in pairwise
Goals For: 93 (3.32 per game)
Goals Against: 55 (1.96 per game)
Save Percentage: 0.913
Power Play: 18-for-106 (17.0 percent)
Penalty Kill: 100-for-123 (81.3 percent)

Season Summary:

It’s been an up-and-down season for No. 7 Boston College women’s hockey, a team that entered the season with legitimate national championship aspirations. The Eagles kicked off the 2018-19 campaign with consecutive losses to then-No. 9 Minnesota Duluth, but rebounded with an eight-game winning streak. Then, a tough 3-2 loss to rival Boston University started a downward spiral of sorts, as they lost six of seven games. BC enters the contest on a six-game win streak, however, and certainly has the talent to capture a fourth consecutive crown, but its path certainly won’t be easy. To get there, it’ll have first get through Harvard, before facing off against either Northeastern or BU—teams the Eagles are a combined 2-4 against on the season—in the final.

Players to Watch:

1) F Daryl Watts

The sophomore star hasn’t quite hit the Heights she did last year, but then again it’s difficult to top a 42-goal campaign that ended in a Patty Kazmaier Award. Still, Watts is tied for the team lead in goals this season with 15 and is always a threat to score whenever she’s on the ice.

2) D Megan Keller

The 2018 Olympian has been nothing short of spectacular for BC this season. In addition to heading up a defensive unit that allows 1.96 goals per game, she’s arguably been one of the Eagles’ best offensive weapons this season. She leads the team in points with 34 and boasts the best shot conversion percentage on the team, at 15.4 percent.

3) G Maddy McArthur

The Canadian U-18 national team goaltender had tough shoes to fill when she arrived on campus, as she was tabbed to replace Katie Burt, who graduated as the all-time winningest goaltender in NCAA history. Even so, she’s done an admirable job replacing Burt, as she boasts a 18-8 record as a starter and a .912 save percentage.

Last Beanpot:

All-Time Beanpot Record: 38-38-1, Beanpot Championships: 8

In 2017-18, BC managed to capture its third straight Beanpot title, though it wasn’t without drama. In the semifinal, the Eagles faced off against Northeastern and took a 2-0 lead after one period, thanks to two scores from Watts. BC needed a late hat trick from Makenna Newkirk, however, to secure a 5-2 win and move to the final against Comm. Ave rival BU. In the championship, the Eagles found themselves trailing 3-2 late in the third period but thanks once again to Watts, found a late equalizer to send the contest into overtime. Then it was Toni Ann Miano’s turn to play hero, as she netted the game-winning goal 15 minutes into the extra period on a power play, allowing BC to lift the trophy for the third year in a row.

Outlook:

The Eagles have the talent to defend their crown once again and even got a favorable semifinal draw against a Harvard team that’s arguably the weakest in the field. With stars like Keller and Watts, BC should have the talent and experience to grab a win against a Crimson team that’s just 5-11-3 on the season. Whether or not the Eagles go on to win their fourth consecutive tournament from there likely depends on BC’s special teams, which has been a noted weak point of the team this season. If the Eagles can shore up what’s been a shaky penalty kill and power-play unit for the tournament, they certainly have the skaters to defeat either Northeastern or BU in the final.

Featured Image by Jess Rivilis / For The Heights

Avatar
About Peter Kim 162 Articles
Peter Kim is the assistant sports editor of The Heights. He’s from Seattle, will die happy if the Mariners make the playoffs once in his lifetime, and still refuses to watch any of Super Bowl XLIV. Follow him on twitter @PeterKim_4