DOBC’s ‘Revive’ Show Celebrates Female Empowerment

On Friday, the Dance Organization of Boston College (DOBC), a group consisting of 40 Boston College students, put on ‘Revive,’ a show consisting of a litany of performances both from the group and outside guests. The event was described as “a performance that captures the power of dance to create new energy and strength,” and was just that—the work put in by the women of DOBC put on a great show with a variety of acts conveying a nice variety of moods.

Revive began with an upbeat performance set to “Uh Huh” by Somewhere Else. It was a fiery number, which gradually rose in energy up until the end and set a good tone for the rest of the show. The routine was followed by a number titled Lovely, set to the song of the same name by Billie Eilish and Khalid. This set was almost a polar opposite to the last one: The somber number was much slower and was the first time the dancers tapped into a bevy of emotions during the day’s performances. Many of the acts featured this wide range of expressions and perspectives as the choreographers put their own spin on popular songs, ranging from “SOS” by Rihanna to a piano rendition of “Runaway” by Kanye West.

Popular BC dance group Females Incorporating Sisterhood Through Step (F.I.S.T.S.) came through with a performance, recapping the ups and downs of 2018, as well as their excitement for the new year. The swagger-filled performance was a great addition to the showcase as a whole, and was met with a great response from the audience.

The last performance before intermission, Every Woman—set to “I’m Every Woman,” by the late Whitney Houston—was one of the highlights of the show. A fun and empowering set, the high-energy display was a perfect showcase of unity and the products of the work DOBC put into their performance.

The second half of the show included the same level of variety, with sets featuring songs from artists like Adele, Ellie Goulding, and Bishop Briggs, and included a great performance by BC dance group Synergy. The show ended with a stellar final set featuring the entire cast, which successfully capped off a strong showcase. Overall, “Revive” was a varied and entertaining experience featuring great choreography, song choices, as well as staging and lighting. The 40 women of DOBC put on a creative and thrilling show with a nice range of styles and emotions that celebrated their hard work, dedication, and unity.

Featured Image by Ikram Ali / Heights Editor