Beanpot Team Capsule: Harvard Women’s Hockey

harvard women's hockey

Numbers to Know:

Record: 6-11-3, 5-8-2 Ivy, 26th in Pairwise
Goals For: 37 (1.85 per game)
Goals Against: 40 (1.96 per game)
Save Percentage: 0.942
Power Play: 7-for-71 (9.9 percent)
Penalty Kill: 12-for-71 (83.1 percent)

Season Summary:

In 2014-15, Harvard dropped the National Championship game to Minnesota after an inspired run, sweeping through the ECAC Tournament and knocking off Boston College in the Frozen Four. Things have progressively gotten worse for head coach Katey Stone and the Crimson since, as they didn’t make it out of the conference quarterfinals the next season, finished three games under .500 in 2017-18, and are off to a similarly shaky start in 2018-19. Harvard has taken a beating in conference play by the ECAC heavyweights and will enter the Beanpot field as the clear-cut weakest team. It falls outside the top 30 in both the power play and penalty kill rankings and is one of the worst offensive teams in Division I hockey.

Players to Watch:

1) Becca Gilmore, F

Harvard is scoring over a goal less per game than last season, and a part of that has been Becca Gilmore missing six games. She exploded onto the scene as a freshman, totaling 16 goals and 19 assists to lead the Crimson, but she’s been slow in her return and has just 10 points in 13 games. Gilmore is still a prolific player, though, and her -5 net rating will likely trend back towards last year’s +14 mark as she works her way back into the offense.

2) Kristin Della Rovere, F

Like Gilmore last year, Kristin Della Rovere has had plenty of success in her first year in Boston. Hailing from Ontario, Della Rovere currently leads the Crimson in points with 13 points, chipping in six assists and seven goals. She’s just three games removed from a two-assist performance against No. 5 Clarkson, and has three different stretches of consecutive games in which she scored a goal.

3) Lindsay Reed, G

Harvard boasts a top-20 scoring defense, and Lindsay Reed has played a big role in that. Despite only being a freshman, Reed ranks fourth in the country in save percentage, turning away 94.1 percent of shots and only trailing Northeastern’s Aerin Frankel (94.6 percent) in the Beanpot field. She’s going to allow goals, though, as she already has three games of 40-plus saves, and her team lost each one of those.

Last Beanpot:

All-Time Beanpot Record: 49-29, 14 Championships

Last year, despite struggling to their first sub-.500 season since 1997-98, Harvard managed to split its two Beanpot matchups. Both games were tightly contested, with the Crimson falling to Boston University, 3-2, in the opening round before slipping past Northeastern, 4-3, in the consolation game. The Terriers surged out to a 3-0 lead in the opening period behind two goals from Patty Kazmaier finalist Victoria Bach and never relinquished it in the first-round matchup, fighting off a Harvard comeback. The next week, against the Huskies, Gilmore guided her team to an impressive third-period comeback. With the Crimson trailing 3-2 in the final frame, Gilmore scored the game-tying and game-winning goals, vaulting her team to a third-place finish.

Outlook:

The going won’t be easy for Harvard in this year’s Beanpot. The team is easily the worst of the field, with the other three teams firmly entrenched in the USCHO.com Top 10. The Crimson draw the three-time defending champions in No. 7 Boston College to start, a team that has taken the last five meetings from them. The biggest problem in that game—or likely in the consolation game—will be keeping up on offense. All three of the other offenses boast top-12 marks in the nation in goals per game, while Harvard is a distant cry at 34th. It could be a rough showing in the tournament, especially as the team hosting it.

Bradley Smart
About Bradley Smart 428 Articles
Bradley is the sports editor for The Heights. He believes that America does truly run on Dunkin, baseball teams should always wear stirrups, you can't outrun a bear, and being down 3-1, in anything, is never cause for concern. You can follow him on Twitter @bradleysmart15.