Logic Preaches Respect in New ‘Confessions’ Video

Logic has always been a polarizing figure. He was known for his lyrical prowess early in his career, praised for his skill and hunger. Logic exemplified the rap purist’s favorite kind of rapper, one who rapped about substance and channeled the spirit of rap greats. With his early mixtapes and parts of the Young Sinatra series, he made a name for himself.  

Oddly enough, as Logic’s garnered more attention across the world and used his newfound influence to spread the kind of socially conscious content that many look to their idols for—see hit 2017 song “1-800-273-8255,” an Alessia Cara and Khali assisted ode to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, for an example—more people seem to have turned their backs on him. Go online, and it won’t take long for you to find someone accusing Logic of being too corny, a poor man’s J. Cole, or just a boring artist. Whether it’s just a byproduct of his status as a chart-topping artist—you’d be hard pressed to find popular rap artists who don’t have a legion of individuals on the internet dedicated to tearing them down—or fair complaints. It seems that Logic can never catch a break no matter what he releases.

With his most recent single, “Confessions of A Dangerous Mind,” the Maryland-bred rapper sets out to address these complaints and comparisons to his compatriots. “Confessions” is the second single off his upcoming album Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, preceded by the January release of “Keanu Reeves.” The track, produced by longtime collaborator 6ix, is the title track of the album and based on the content of the song. On the whole, his fans can expect his upcoming album to be an introspective journey.

The accompanying music video for the song, which the rapper released on Twitter with the caption “I wrote this one in Blood,” begins with the words “This is a Public Service Announcement” an ode to legendary rapper and businessman, Jay-Z, before we see Logic enter the picture, surrounded by darkness as he dances to the beat with a blunt in his ear. As he moves, you can see a very large and noticeable gash on his neck, but he seems unfazed, moving with the music as he begins his first verse. He starts off proudly expressing his place in life and his accolades before he dips into a bit of introspection, reflecting on his earlier days when he wasn’t sure what he’d do or how he would make it in rap. As he continues rapping and mediating over the course of his life, the gash on his neck grows, and—once the hook comes—the rapper seems noticeably in pain as blood begins to spill from the wound.

The rapper lights his blunt before beginning his second verse, addressing the effect that social media can have on rappers like himself, rapping from the perspective of those on the internet who seek to tear him down and compare him to rappers like Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, and Drake. Snow begins to fall as he continues his verse, bleeding while addressing the recent slew of death of young rappers from drug overdoses, (most recent being the death of 26-year-old Mac Miller late last year). The rapper goes as far as to load a gun in the song, as he discusses how fans never really know what their idols are thinking and how they’re coping, but won’t hesitate to go online and insult them. The gun turns into a phone as the verse progresses, clearly referencing the correlation between these rappers’ struggles and social media. All the while, the snow keeps on falling, and blood continues to spread across the rapper’s body. Then, he begins the third verse, an uplifting one in which he coaxes his fans and contemporaries to look past the criticisms and appreciate what they have done and what they have left to do. The rapper preaches self-love as the song ends with the blood-covered rapper smiling joyfully, no longer feeling the pain that comes with these insults.

Logic may never be the most beloved rapper, but his content is worthy of praise, as he always aims to use his platform to preach the kind of self respect and appreciation that he believes his fans should express. The rapper never hesitates to attempt to be a big brother of sorts to his fans in hopes of encouraging those who may need help to reach a point in their life where they can be happy. While the rapper’s music might not always be amazing, he does his best to help those who need it, and—with the upcoming release of his new album, as well as his first novel, Supermarket—fans can expect more guidance and advice from the young rapper.