A Capella Groups Brighten Rainy Day at Showcase

A Capella Showcase

The A Capella Critics’ Choice Showcase allowed students to get a taste of five of Boston College’s a cappella groups in one concise set. Even though it was a cold and rainy Friday afternoon, the O’Neill Plaza was packed with students trying to get a glimpse of the skilled singers. Families, friends, and roommates were all in attendance to cheer on the many students performing throughout the showcase.

The BC Dynamics, a co-ed a cappella group, kicked off the showcase with impressive harmonies. They performed crowd-pleasing songs like “Electric Love” by BØRNS and “Trippin’ On You” by Ella Mai in front of a vibrant backdrop of bright colors.

The Acoustics performed a variety of moving, slower ballads that displayed the group’s more emotional side. They started off their set with an emotional rendition of James Arthur’s “Naked,” which was poignant and heartfelt. At several points in the song, the audience erupted in applause due to the sheer power and control in the voices flying off the stage. Later, The Acoustics performed “Burning House” by Cam. The group conveyed the heartbreaking character of the song in an impressively cathartic manner.

Up next was The Heightsmen, BC’s only all-male a capella group. The group drew a huge applause from the audience as they crooned songs about love and heartbreak in front of a gradient backdrop. In typical Heightsmen fashion, the show was not complete without some Frank Sinatra. The group closed out its set with a beautiful rendition of the 1959 hit “Somewhere Beyond the Sea.”

Against the Current, a non-dimensional Christian a cappella group, was founded 20 years ago with the purpose of bringing the gospel to BC as a music ministry. The passionate and talented group performed a mix of slower songs and even included some rap verses in its set. Against the Current ended its set with an excellent cover of “Us,” a rousing duet by James Bay and Alicia Keys.

Last but not least was The Sharps, BC’s only all-female a capella group. They first performed “No Roots” by Alice Merton with palpable energy and spirit. The singers skillfully added their own twist to the fiery and passionate song. The group closed out the entire showcase with an incredibly powerful cover of “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” by Carole King. The pure emotion in each of the girls’ voices was potent and clear throughout the entire song, causing the audience to burst into applause at multiple points amid the performance.

Featured Image by Celine Lim / Heights Editor

Avatar
About Emily Himes 98 Articles
Emily Himes is the associate arts editor for The Heights. She has relatively few controversial arts opinions, but her top one might be her love for "The Piña Colada Song." Write her at [email protected], complain to [email protected]