BC Names Joy Moore VP for Student Affairs

After leading the division of Student Affairs on an interim basis since last August, Joy Moore, BC ’81, has been named the vice president for Student Affairs, according to a University release.

“It has been a pleasure working closely with Joy over the past year,” Executive Vice President Mike Lochhead told BC News. “During this time, she has earned the respect of her staff and the students they serve, and has proved herself to be a strong leader and tireless advocate. I look forward to continue working with her in the coming years.”

In the year since she stepped into the position, Moore has been instrumental in a number of initiatives designed to bring student voices directly to administrators. One such project was the Student Experience Survey: Moore helped launch and market the survey to students, as well as spread its findings throughout the BC community.

Moore was also integral in launching the student-administrator forums, at which various administrators and up to 50 students gather in Maloney Hall to discuss student-chosen topics, such as diversity and inclusion, faculty hiring, mental health, financial aid, and the Student Experience Survey.

The forums were designed to maintain the conversation between students and administrators after the December town hall held in the wake of Michael Sorkin, CSOM ’21, allegedly defacing Welch Hall with racist epithets. At the gathering—which was organized by Moore along with members of the Undergraduate Government of Boston College, Provost and Dean of Faculties David Quigley, and Vice President of Mission and Ministry Rev. Jack Butler, S.J.— students and administrators discussed necessary steps toward improving the BC community’s attitudes surrounding diversity and inclusion.

Moore played a significant role in the launch of DiversityEdu, an hour-long online course designed to teach skills for understanding the impact of unconscious bias, language, and behavior. She has worked to improve the program based on the feedback she received from students.  

Moore also worked with UGBC, the Muslim Student Association, and BC Dining Services last semester to develop a system for Muslim students observing Ramadan to get a 3 a.m. breakfast in Lower, which overlapped with finals week this year. Previously, the dining halls were not open at times accessible for observing students who, while celebrating Ramadan, fast during daylight hours.

Moore received a degree in special education from the Lynch School of Education in 1981 and an honorary doctorate from BC in 2010. Moore has served as the head of school at the Archer School in Los Angeles and the associate head and director of the Dana Hall Upper School in Wellesley, Mass., as well as the interim and deputy head of school at the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy in Johannesburg, South Africa.

When she returned to BC in 2011, Moore worked in the Cadigan Alumni Center as the associate vice president of alumni relations, before she moved to Student Affairs last fall. 

As the new vice president for Student Affairs, Moore succeeds Barb Jones, who held the role from 2013 until her retirement in 2018. Assuming the role of vice president for Student Affairs provides her with the chance to give back in a way she never thought was possible, Moore told BC News.

“BC is thriving on all fronts, and it is an exciting time to be part of the growth and expansion taking place,” she said to BC News. “I am thrilled to be able to continue to build close working relationships with students, so that together we can enrich and enhance the student experience for all. We made some strides this past year in a number of areas, but there is still work to be done and new ideas to be considered.”  

With her appointment, Moore announced several title changes among the members of her leadership team, according to the release. Associate Vice President and Dean of Students Tom Mogan will now take the title of associate vice president for student engagement and formation, and Dean of Student Conduct Corey Kelly will assume the role of director of student conduct.

Caroline Davis, associate dean of Student Outreach and Support Services, will assume the title of director of student outreach and support services. Carrie Klemovitch, special assistant to the vice president and director of special projects, will now be the special assistant to the vice president for administration and strategic initiatives. Associate Vice President for Career Services Joe Du Pont will continue on in his current role.

George Arey, associate vice president for residential life, will have special projects added to his title, and Melinda Stoops, formerly the associate vice president for Student Affairs, will take on the role of associate vice president for student health and wellness. 

“These title changes within the Student Affairs leadership team are designed to reflect our commitment to providing the best possible outreach and services to our students,” Moore told BC News. “I look forward to working with the entire Student Affairs team and colleagues from across the University to make BC the most welcoming and supportive college campus possible, while enabling everyone to thrive and achieve their personal best.”

Featured Image Courtesy of Joy Moore

July 18, 2019