Come work for The Heights!

No previous newspaper experience is necessary to join The Heights—anyone interested in journalism is welcome to contribute. Several levels of involvement are available to newcomers:

Contributor Positions:

Those who wish to write or photograph for The Heights can do so without any requirements or application as a Heights contributor. To pick up a story or an event, attend the weekly meeting for the section you wish to contribute to or email the appropriate editor.

Staff Positions:

• The Heights is seeking staff writers for multiple positions in news and metro—reporter positions are described below. After submitting, applicants will be contacted and assigned a story to write. After completing that story, applicants will be informed if they have been selected for the position. The business side of The Heights is also seeking staff members.

General Assignment

• Applicants who do not wish to choose one beat may apply to be general assignment reporters for the news or metro section. These reporters will be assigned stories as the editor see fit, on a weekly basis.

News:

• UGBC reporter
    • The UGBC reporter will attend all UGBC meetings (~two per month) and write about other UGBC-related issues. 

Gender and Diversity

• The Gender and Diversity reporter will write stories about gender and diversity on campus. This reporter will focus on searching out enterprise stories and may cover some events.

Admissions and Financial Aid

• This reporter will cover developments related to financial aid and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at Boston College. They will be responsible for searching out enterprise and other long-term stories, including analyzing trends and researching how BC compares with other universities.

Academics and Faculty Affairs

• The Academics and Faculty Affairs reporter will write about news and trends in academics. This reporter will have the opportunity to cover the development of the new Schiller Institute, along with a variety of other academic programs. 

Housing and Dining

• This reporter will write enterprise stories about housing and dining on campus. They will also be responsible for attending BC Dining advisory meetings. Past housing and dining stories have included the move of Late Night from Lower to Addie’s, empty beds in 2k, and the removal of Meatball Obsession.

Metro:

• Transportation 
    • The transportation reporter will be responsible for covering MBTA and other transportation news. Stories could include fare hikes, T closures and maintenance, and lighthearted pieces about transportation trends.

City Politics

• The city reporter will be responsible for going to all Newton City Council meetings, which are typically held monthly at City Hall. They will also have the opportunity to write stories about local politics and events in the City of Newton. 

Arts and Theatre 

• The art and theatre reporter will be responsible for reviewing theatre shows (tickets are provided for free) as well as museum exhibits in Boston. They will also cover any local arts or theatre news.

Food Critic

• The food critic will be responsible for weekly reviews of new restaurants and food scenes in Newton and Boston. They will be expected to write some restaurant and chef profiles throughout the semester.

AdStaff:

• Ad staff will be responsible for reaching out to companies and selling them on the idea of purchasing an ad in The Heights. They with be paired with a current account manager and support him/her in the ad selling process.

Become a HIP.

In the fall, applications for the Heights introduction Program will open. About 60-80 underclassmen will be invited to join the program, which will teach students interested in journalism more about the newsroom through workshops and firsthand experience. HIPs will also be paired with an upperclassman mentor who currently serves on the editorial board. For more information on the program, check out last year’s page https://bcheights.com/heights-introduction-program-2019/.