Column, Opinions

Feb. 24 Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

By:

Thumbs Up

Medals of Honor – Recently the White House announced that it would be awarding Medals of Honor to 24 Army veterans from WWII, and the Korean and Vietnam wars that may have been overlooked for the most prestigious decoration in the U.S. military because of their race, ethnicity, and/or religious affiliation. The Department of Defense conducted a rigorous review of veterans honored in that time period to ascertain how many soldiers were overlooked for discriminatory reasons. Out of the 24, three are still living and will attend a ceremony at the White House on Mar. 18. Though a little belated, it’s still good to see them getting the recognition they deserve.

<strong>BC Nurses</strong> - It has come to our attention that this weekend was a particularly rough one on the Boston College campus. For some studetns, Spring Break just cannot come soon enough, and they took it upon themselves to begin celebrating this weekend. As a result, the Infirmary saw an increased influx of students, as some people could not contain themselves and partied just a little bit too hard. Luckily, the nurses in the infirmary stepped up their game to attend to the many patients they saw that night. We would like to extend to them a Thumbs Up for all of their hard work this weekend.</p><h4 style="padding:5px;">   Thumbs Down</h4><p> <strong>Mock Trial Kids</strong> - Yesterday, there were a bunch of outsiders infiltrating our home turf on the Heights and they were in the form of participants in a BC-run mock trial. While we recognize the value in opening up the campus for events-it does bring prestige to BC, after all-we would really like it if we did not have to wait in excruciatingly long lines in Mac to get a lunch-time omelet.

<strong>Hell Week</strong> - Without fail, there are always the same crunch times every single year-the two days before Thanksgiving, the three days before Easter, both weeks before finals, and the week before Spring Break. Well, folks, today marks the beginning of one of those times. When all we can think of are our impending trips to somewhere warmer, it seems as if all of the professors in the University have conspired to make this week miserable. Look, we understand that the concept of the "mid-term" ontologically dictates that said exams be in the middle of the term, but come on, that can be a flexible range of dates. There is really no reason that every mid-term needs to converge in the one-week period before break. Some could be in the one-week period after break, and that would still be roughly the middle of the term.

<strong>Sheets of Ice</strong> - These are dangerous, conniving creations. They are surreptitiously hidden around the vicinity of BC just waiting to trip us up. As things seem to be thawing these days, we just can't wait for these sheets of ice to turn into nasty puddles into which we will likely fall.

Canada – You have thwarted us yet again, Canada! We are angry and bitter that our Olympic dreams have been crushed by you eh-saying, maple syrup chugging, Canadian-bacon eating, Justin Bieber-producing Canucks. We would be more angry, but we can’t bring ourselves to do anything about it because you are so damn nice about it. We wouldn’t be surprised if you were up there north of the border apologizing to your local neighborhood American for beating us.