Sports

Sailing Cruises, Tennis Rolls, Lacrosse Wins

Sailing

The Eagles survived a disqualification to win the Veitor Trophy in a weekend race at Salve Regina. In the in-conference competition, Boston College fended off Dartmouth and Northeastern for the victory, though Sunday’s weather forced the day’s events to be cancelled. The team also beat Roger Williams and St. Mary’s College of Maryland to win the Southern New-England Team Race over the weekend. Skippers Raul Rios, William Bailey, Harry Koeppel, and Erika Reineke led the team, while crews Shelby Hamilton, Allison Ferraris, Elizabeth Baranard, and Alex Palfrey helped the 10-4 Eagles win the intersectional race.

Lacrosse

Mikaela Rix’s four points helped No. 5 BC beat Canisius College on Saturday afternoon, as the Eagles won 10-7. While Canisius got two goals from Maria Kotas, it was not enough for the hosts to stop the Eagles.
BC took a 7-4 lead into the break, through goals from Rix, a pair from Moira Barry, and efforts from Brooke Blue, Tess Chandler, and Kara Magley. Taylor Giglio scored for Canisius coming out of the break, but BC responded with three straight goals to give itself insurance. Sarah Mannelly, who had five shots on goal, put one of those second half goals away.

Golf

The women’s golf team followed up a 15th-place finish at the Kiawah Island Classic with a rocky outing at the 3M Jaguar Intercollegiate at Forest Hills Golf Club in Augusta, Ga. Led by Cristina McQuiston, who finished tied for 64th, the Eagles, as a team, finished 14th out of 14 teams in the competition. The entire team finished near the bottom of the 75-woman field. Christian Wang came in 69th and Katia Joo came in 72nd. No. 14 Vanderbilt ran away with the match with a score of +32, while the Eagles totalled a +150. BC failed to top any of its opposition in each of the three rounds played in the Saturday tournament.

Tennis

After five hours, the women’s tennis team upset No. 20 Georgia Tech 4-3. The Yellow Jackets won two of the doubles matches, though BC fought back to win four of six in singles. Wan-Yi Sweeting rallied from being 5-2 behind in the third set to beat her opponent. Nigel Bentley’s team followed up its victory by crushing No. 25 Notre Dame 6-1. The men’s team beat Sacred Heart 7-0. BC swept singles play and won two of the three doubles matches. Philip Nelson, Jonathan Raude, and Alexander Thirouin all won two matches in the triumph. The only loss of the day came when Aidan McNulty and Hank Workamn lost their doubles match, 8-4.