Sports

ROUNDUP: The Week In Review

Track

The Boston College men’s track and field team competed in the Princeton Sam Howell Invitational over the weekend, an event that was highlighted by the third- and fourth-place finishes by seniors Anthony Belitti and Joseph McConaughy in the 1,500-meter run, respectively. The women competed in the UConn Invitational. Junior Kathy O’Keefe (1,500 meters), freshman Christina Zelenoy (400-meter hurdles), and fellow freshman Fallyn Boich (javelin) all won their events, which proved to be the bright spot on a day that would see the Eagles finish with 101 points, good for fourth place in the four-team meet.

Sailing

BC’s sailing team is coming off an active week in which it placed seventh at the 33rd Lynne Marchiando Regatta and third at the BU Trophy in-conference regatta. Additionally, the women’s sailing team finished in seventh place at the Dellenbaugh Women’s Trophy intersectional regatta. The race at the BU Trophy, an in-conference regatta, was particularly competitive, as the top three teams finished within six points of each other, with Northeastern taking first with 106 points. The women’s team finished its regatta with 213 points, whereas MIT emerged as the winner, having registered 134 points.

Rowing

The BC rowing team had a solid showing in the regatta against Rhode Island and Massachusetts on the Narrow River last weekend, placing second in the second varsity eight, second varsity four, and third varsity eight. Additionally, the Eagles finished third in the first and fourth varsity eight races. Ultimately, Rhode Island came away with the Resolute Cup, which goes to the winner of the varsity eight between URI and BC. The most dramatic action of the day was observed in the contest of the third varsity eight, which saw the Eagles pull ahead of UMass’ A boat in the final few strokes.

Tennis

The Boston College women’s tennis team played two matches this weekend, snapping a two-match losing streak with wins over Wake Forest and NC State.
The Eagles took on the Demon Deacons on Friday in Dedham, coming away with a convincing 5-2 victory. In doubles, the top team of Lexi Borr and Jessica Wacnik won its match, but BC lost a point when the other two teams of Heini Salonen and Jennifer Ren and Katya Vasilyev and Wan-Yi Sweeting both lost their matches, the point for doubles play going to Wake Forest.

In singles, the Eagles dominated, winning all but one match. No. 1 Wacnik defeated her top foe of Andrea Retolaza Andrade for her second win of the day, and Borr did the same by defeating Luisa Fernandez in the third spot. Vasilyev, Sweeting, and Emily Safron also won their singles matches, Salonen becoming the only Eagle to drop her individual matchup. The success in singles gave BC the edge it needed for the 5-2 win.

The Eagles were back in action on Sunday night in another match against an ACC foe, this time the NC State Wolf Pack. Once again, the Eagles pulled off the victory, this one even more convincing by a score of  7-0. The Eagles did not lose a single competition in doubles or singles play.