Metro

Boston Art Festival is Back After Brief Hiatus

Boston is getting a bit more artistic in a few days.

This Saturday, the annual Boston Arts Festival will showcase visual and performing arts. The Boston Arts Festival takes place at the Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park, a scenic park located at the edge of the lively North End and the popular tourist destination Faneuil Hall.

Celebrating the noteworthy talents of local photographers, painters, jewelers, woodworkers, artisans, and musicians, the Boston Arts Festival provides artists the opportunity to show their work.

In collaboration with the city of Boston’s Office of Arts, Tourism, and Special Events, Mayor Thomas M. Menimo started the Boston Arts Festival in 2003 to reaffirm Boston’s identity as one of the largest cultural hubs on the East Coast and to foster the development of the city’s rich culture. The festival commences the Open Studios taking place throughout the fall.

The festival is returning for the first time since 2014, but it is now under the management of the Artists Crossing Gallery, an arts events organization responsible for organizing the Beach Hill Art Walk, Boston Harborfest, and the Beacon Hill Holiday Fine Art and Crafts Sale.

An organization passionate about preserving the annual celebration of Boston’s cultural identity, the Artists Crossing Gallery  has been planning the event since February, according to chief event organizer Jen Matson.

Although the festival has showcased works from out-of-state artists in the past, the Artists Crossing Gallery hopes to bring the Boston Arts Festival back to the local artists and artisans and strengthen its dedication to patronizing local talent.

“It’s really about bringing it back to the local artists and showcasing their talent,” Matson said. “We’re shining a light on the great talent within the Boston area.”

Matson also emphasizes that the art community and the city as a whole deeply felt the festival’s absence last year, and the Artists Crossing Gallery is committed to reviving the truly distinctive Boston pride, energy, and spirit that this festival brings.

artsfest2 Online

An estimated 70 visual artists and artisans participate in the event and will be selling unique pieces that showcase their artistic abilities. Festival-goers can expect to see and purchase handmade, fine art and listen to a free concert.

Ten musicians and bands playing a variety of music genres will be performing on the Waterfront Stage for the entirety of the event, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Attendees can access artist profiles and portfolios on the Boston Arts Festival’s Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook pages to preview some of the talent showcased on Saturday.

The festival will post a complete schedule of the musicians and bands later in the week on its social media pages.

As a private organization, the Artist Crossing Gallery relies on external sponsorships and donations to finance the festival’s production, which has certainly proved to be its greatest challenge. To raise money and support the talents of local artisans and artists, the Artists Crossing Gallery has established a GoFundMe fundraiser with the goal of raising $33,000.

“[The festival] provides artists a platform to form and showcase their talent as well as the exposure, help, and support of the residents, art patrons, artists, neighborhoods, businesses, and tourists,” Matson said.

Featured Image by Jen Matson