Deadline to Get in UGBC Race Extended to Friday

Undergraduate Leadership Academy

The Elections Committee (EC) will extend the deadline for declaring to run for Undergraduate Government of Boston College president and executive vice president until Friday, Feb. 3 at 4 p.m., according to Casey Doyle, co-chair of the EC and CSOM ’17.

The only candidates to complete their intent to run forms by the Friday, Jan. 27 deadline were Raymond Mancini and Matt Batsinelas, both CSOM ’19. They said in an interview yesterday that they expected the EC to extend the deadline. The EC’s guidelines state that if only one team has entered the race after the deadline, the committee reserves the right to extend the date.

This is the second year in a row that the deadline has been extended, although under different circumstances. Last year, three teams initially declared they were running, but when two dropped out the deadline was extended. Five more teams then jumped in.

Doyle said two weeks ago that the EC had adjusted the election schedule this year to be only 12 days, avoiding last year’s drawn-out process. This year’s election schedule will not be changed, Doyle said—the campaign kickoff is scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 5, two days after the new deadline.

Featured Image Courtesy of UGBC

About Connor Murphy 121 Articles
Connor is the news editor for The Heights, and was the copy editor for 2016. He spends a lot of time thinking about hyphens. You can follow him on Twitter @murphheights.