Women's Hockey, Top Story

Burt Taken No. 1 Overall in National Women’s Hockey League Draft

The Boston Pride—the National Women’s Hockey League’s inaugural champion—continues to stack its roster with superstars from Boston College.

On Thursday night, the Pride selected two Eagles in the first round of the 2017 NWHL Draft: goaltender Katie Burt (No. 1) and forward Kenzie Kent (No. 4). Defenseman Toni Ann Miano joined Burt and Kent in the draft, after being selected by the New York Riveters with pick No. 15.

Burt, a native of Lynn, Mass., has been the starting goaltender for the Eagles since stepping foot on campus in 2014. She holds the program record in most major goaltending categories, including wins, save percentage, goals against average, and shutouts. She enters her senior year 23 shy of the overall career wins record of 114, held by Minnesota’s Noora Räty. Burt has averaged 30 wins in her first three seasons. Burt has also served as a goaltender within the United States Women’s National Team program.

“It’s an honor being drafted first overall with such a great draft class,” Burt said of the selection. “Being drafted by such a great organization in the Boston Pride is truly an honor. I’m excited to have the opportunity to be part of The Pack once I graduate.”

Kent is 14th in program history in scoring with 107 points, and has played in all 117 games in her career. As a freshman, she was inserted onto the first line at left wing, and has rarely moved from that spot since. Kent has also risen to national prominence as the country’s most well-known two-sport athlete. She scored 77 points in just 12 games on BC women’s lacrosse, the national runner-up. Her efforts on the ice and turf helped her earn the ACC’s Mary Garber Award as the conference’s 2016-17 Female Athlete of the Year.

“Kenzie Kent is a great athlete who can elevate the game of those on her line,” BC head coach Katie Crowley said of her first-line forward. “That’s what is so unique about Kenzie: the way she supports her teammates and elevates their game. I’m so happy for her to get drafted into the NWHL.”

Miano, who grew up in the Bronx, N.Y., is currently the Eagles’ senior-most defenseman—seniors Megan Keller and Kali Flanagan will be members of the U.S. Women’s National Team at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. She has notched 59 points in her career: 18 goals and 41 assists. Miano was also suspended for the second half of the 2016-17 season for undisclosed reasons.

All players will have the option to sign with the teams that held their rights upon graduation. Similarly to the NHL, players may also pursue free agency and sign with another team.

Burt is now the second player from BC taken No. 1 overall in the NWHL Draft—Alex Carpenter, the program’s leader in points, was taken by the Riveters in 2015. Now, 11 alums have played in the league during its first two seasons.

If they sign with Boston, Burt and Kent will be the fifth and sixth players on the team’s roster from BC. Lexi Bender, Blake Bolden, Kaliya Johnson, and Dana Trivigno are also on the Pride. Carpenter played for the Pride last season, but will also be on the Olympic team. Miano will be the only BC alum on New York’s roster this season.

August 18, 2017