Changing Seasons, Without Mayonnaise: TU/TD

Thumbs Up

Shedding The Green – The best time of the year is finally here. It’s starting to get a little chillier outside, and the leaves on the trees are beginning to change from green to an array of shades of yellow, red, and orange. As the seasons switch and campus, full of warm autumn colors, becomes ripe for artsy Instagram pictures, some of the most enjoyable times of the year will arrive. Halloween is right around the corner. Thanksgiving Break, the much needed family time and respite from midterm season, is within sight. Then, when all of this has passed, it’s smooth flying on brisk winds until the Christmas season and winter break. In this busy period, it’s easy to let the beauty of fall in New England escape our awareness. Don’t let this glorious season slip by, and take in every last ounce before winter’s spell transforms the landscape again.

A State Unconsidered – Maine is an amazing place. I’ve only been a couple times, but there is something about the land that lies in America’s most northeastern corner that has enticed me each time I’ve entered its boundaries. From its many beautiful lakes and cabins, to acres upon acres of well preserved forest, and the lighthouses dotting its rocky coast, I consider this well-preserved state to be an underappreciated place. Maybe it’s just cause I’m a city kid who never grew up around nature, but I feel like those stuck in concrete jungles all too often forget about the wildlife that thrives in the North. I love city life, but I appreciate that something else exists not too far away.

Thumbs Down

Where Is The Mayo – This is a very nitpicky qualm, and a very personal one as well, I will admit. During the time in which my dad’s French ex-girlfriend and her two kids lived in my house, I became hooked on eating fries, chicken tenders, and other fried foods in the way that they did: with mayonnaise. Not just mayonnaise on its own, however, but mayonnaise mixed with ketchup. This might sound gross to you, but please, don’t knock it until you try it. Most people I’ve forced to taste this pink-ish mixture have found it to be delicious, and it’s somewhat common in other parts of the world, like Europe. Alas, when I desire to create this delicious concoction at late night in Lower, I am often stopped dead in my tracks. The usual white Heinz mayonnaise dispenser is replaced by one for hot sauce, and I am left to munch on my bowl of unhealthiness with ketchup alone as a dipping sauce. I wish that Lower would leave out mayonnaise for late night, as Mac sometimes did last year, which would often make my night in the midst of a long study session. Please Lower, I need my mayo.

Featured Image by Meg Dolan / Heights Editor

About TU/TD 164 Articles
The best and worst of Boston College and more. Follow us on Twitter @BCTUTD.