News, Featured Story, Administration

End of MCAS Honors Not Expected to Impact Yield, Admissions Says

Director of Undergraduate Admission John Mahoney said he does not expect the end of the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences Honors Program to impact yield for the upcoming Class of 2022.

“I do not expect the decision to affect yield on our admitted students from the top 5 percent of the applicant pool,” Mahoney said in an email.

Last month, Dean of MCAS Greg Kalscheur, S.J., announced that the MCAS Honors Program will come to an end with the Class of 2021, citing the fact that since the program’s founding in 1958, Boston College has started to attract more competitive students.  

Mahoney referenced BC’s academic reputation and rankings as reasons students would continue to accept their admittance, as well as merit scholarships, presumably referring to the Gabelli Presidential Scholars Program. The Gabelli Presidential Scholarships are full tuition scholarships awarded to about 15 students of each class and are the only merit scholarships BC awards. Applicants are selected to interview from the early action application pool.

Honors Program students were always among the students guaranteed four years of housing upon admission. Mahoney said that the top 15 percent of the applicant pool will still be guaranteed four years, as was practice before.

“Those invited into the Honors Program were drawn from the top 5 percent of the applicant pool, so those students will continue to receive four years of campus housing,” Mahoney said in the email.

Featured Image via Heights Archives