Warm Winters: TU/TD

Thumbs Up

When it’s 50 degrees in January – It’s the middle of winter, but I’ve shed my parka for a short while to revel in the uncharacteristically spring-like weather this past weekend. The high was 53 degrees on Saturday, only 10 degrees less that the record high for Jan. 27, and it’s much warmer than the day’s average high of 36 degrees. I understand that some don’t enjoy this unnatural fluctuation of temperature during a time that is supposed to be strictly cold—these are the people that want it to constantly snow during winter and always be sunny during summer. Nevertheless, I think that we were bestowed with the gift of a brief hiatus from the chill of the season, and I personally took it upon myself, for a brief few hours, to truly appreciate the day. Like any other Saturday, I woke up at the crack of noon, but instead of making my usual tired trudge to the dining hall, I dragged a friend with me on a leisurely stroll to Newton Center. Taking out my sunglasses and putting away my parka, I watched the gray mounds of snow that permanently decorate campus during winter shrink significantly. The whole hour that I spent outside was just long enough for me to enjoy the sun and warmth. I hope you also took some time to appreciate the uncharacteristically warm breeze summoning spring, which temporarily hid winter.

Thumbs Down

Climate Change – Yes, it was exceptionally enjoyable to walk to a coffee shop wearing a light jacket instead of a long sleeved shirt underneath an itchy wool sweater underneath a down parka topped with an obnoxious scarf that looks like a blanket. But this prematurely mild weather, besides taunting everyone with a brief taste of spring, conceals a frightening phenomenon that becomes increasingly problematic while people continue to deny its existence. This unnatural evolution of weather patterns shows a continuous change in the state of the atmosphere occurring at a greater rate than it should. Even people who recognize that the climate is changing in a way that’s harmful to the planet don’t take the precautionary measures to diminish their contribution to the occurence, myself included. There are things that I know I can do to lessen my effect on the rate of climate change, but it’s hard to make issues that seems so distant, even if they’re actually very present and evident, a priority. I’m not selfless enough to keep the well-being of the world at the forefront of my mind一I’m more concerned with the unthinkable 30 extra seconds it would take to put a reusable plate in a bin rather than just throw out a paper plate into an overflowing trash can. Anyway, all I’m trying to say is climate change sucks, and I’m doing very little to diminish my contribution to it.

Featured Graphic by Nicole Chan / Graphics Editor

About TU/TD 189 Articles
The best and worst of Boston College and more. Follow us on Twitter @BCTUTD.