PB&J and Pockets: TU/TD

Thumbs Up

PB&J sandwiches – In high school, my mom made my lunches every day. They were fantastic, and I definitely didn’t appreciate how good she was at making lunch until I had to start getting my meals myself. Still, very rarely did I receive my favorite lunch: a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I think she only ever made them when we ran out of lunch meat and she hadn’t gone to the store yet or on Fridays during Lent. Her pb&js are the greatest of all time for many reasons: she layers both sides of the bread with creamy Jif so that the bread doesn’t get soggy from the jelly and because peanut butter is superior to jelly in such a sandwich. The bread is always relatively fresh because PB&Js are infinitely better on soft, fluffy slices of processed bread, especially any kind of wheat bread—the jelly is grape. I’ve discussed this many times with a variety of friends, peers, and now-enemies, and I will stand by my conviction that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches can only reach their full potential if they have been made with grape jelly. Grape jelly is significantly superior to strawberry jelly, but only when making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Jellies collectively are the least appetizing fruit that’s been preserved in ridiculous amounts of sugar and pectin. Strawberry jam, besides being better than strawberry jelly, is the most superior of all jams. Jam in general is significantly better than jelly, because it hasn’t been strained and still contains pieces of cooked-down fruit. Regardless, the strawberry and peanut butter combination doesn’t vibe as much as the classic peanut butter and grape jelly. But overall, PB&Js are timeless and classic lunchtime delicacies that continue to be underappreciated and have a reputation that is trivialized because of their association with young children who are picky eaters.

But let’s be real, it’s probably a good thing my mom didn’t make them for me all the time—I’m sure I wouldn’t like them half as much.

Thumbs Down

Fake pockets – I’ve never encountered anything more useless in my entire life than fake pockets, and I think it’s safe to assume that everyone in the entire world agrees with that statement. No consumer will ever be completely satisfied with an article of clothing—pants, jacket, skirt—that pretends to have pockets. For all I know, that could be final factor that influences someone’s purchase of any particular garment. If producers are going to go as far as make it look like there are pockets, then why wouldn’t they spend the extra five inches of fabric to actually make them real pockets? There is no rational logic that one could provide to convince me that fake pockets are worth my while.

Featured Graphic by Nicole Chan / Graphics Editor

About TU/TD 190 Articles
The best and worst of Boston College and more. Follow us on Twitter @BCTUTD.