Spring, Softball

Previewing 2018 Softball: Connecticut

Boston College softball (19-15, 8-3 Atlantic Coast) takes on Connecticut (15-24, 2-7 American Athletic) this Wednesday afternoon, looking to extend their program-best 11-game win streak. The Huskies, though, are ready for a challenge after their recent series win over rival UCF—they also knocked off the Eagles a year ago.

Who is BC playing?

Connecticut

When is BC playing?

Wednesday, April 11, 4 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Brighton Softball Field, Brighton, Mass.

How to Watch:

The game can be followed through live statistics provided by Sidearm Sports.  

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) On Tuesday, BC extended its win streak to 11 with a victory over Massachusetts, setting a new program all-time consecutive win record—previously reaching 10 in 1995.

2) BC’s win streak features impressive statistics: the team has scored 80 runs, and hold a .307 collective batting average. The Eagles have piled up 86 hits, with six of them being home runs.

3) In Sunday’s game against N.C. State, senior shortstop and second baseman Chloe Sharabba earned her fifth home run of the season, good for the team lead. Sharabba also recorded a game-winning hit in the ninth inning.

Connecticut:

1)  Over the weekend, sophomore pitcher Katie Koshes was named AAC Pitcher of the Week. Koshes struck out 11 in the Huskies’ second game on Saturday, giving her a 4.26 ERA in 16 appearances and a 63:29 strikeout-to-walk ratio.  

2) UConn’s lineup is led by catcher Chloe Kerns, who earned her first mention on the AAC Honor Roll this weekend. Over the weekend, Kerns was 5-for-7 at the plate in three games, and homering in addition to notching four RBIs and two runs scored.

3) The Huskies are led in multi-RBI games this season by redshirt freshman first-baseman Olivia Sappington with six, including two RBIs during this past weekend. Sappington is followed by impressive showings from sophomore Carli Cutler, who leads the team with six multi-hit games, and freshman Maura Glatczak, who has made it on base in five consecutive games.

Last Meeting:

BC and UConn last faced each other on April 11, 2017 in regular season play at Burrill Family Field in Storrs, Connecticut. The Huskies, who lead the all-time series against the Eagles 44-27, defeated BC 3-2. UConn pitcher Jill Stockley brought the Huskies to victory by only allowing a lone earned run from the Eagles with five strikeouts. That UConn victory also marked the second win in a row against BC for the Huskies.

BC wins if…

It can continue to succeed offensively: Both Sharabba and Annie Murphy have been hitting over .300 for the Eagles (.373 and .339, respectively). BC can continue its winning streak if Sharabba and Murphy continue to pace an offense averaging almost eight runs per game over an 11-game span. In addition, BC needs continued success from Allyson Frei and Jessica Dreswick, who have both earned sub-2.00 ERAs, leading to a combined 219:95 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

BC loses if…

Koshes brings her A-game in the circle: If she manages to top her 11 strikeouts in one game from this weekend, then the Eagles are going to have trouble getting scoring runs. In addition, BC will have a hard time taking the win if Kerns continues to frequently get on base and go yard, or if BC’s pitching duo has a rare off day. UConn can eke out the upset if the Eagle’s most successful hitters cannot get on base due to Koshes’ skillful pitching.  

Featured Image by Kaitlin Meeks / Heights Editor