Editorial: “BC After Hours” is Positive Initiative for Student Life

To provide students with additional spaces for social, academic, and recreational activities, Boston College is continuing to expand the hours and utility of spaces and services. Beginning last year with student-run services like BC GET and administrative changes like study spaces on the fourth floor of Maloney Hall, the initiative is called “BC After Hours.” The proposal brings conveniences to students, including an intramural sports field at the Harrington Athletics Village on Brighton Campus, extended food service options and hours, and new rehearsal spaces at 300 Hammond Pond Parkway, and generally extended hours in other locations.

This initiative is a joint effort of numerous departments on campus: Student Affairs; University Mission and Ministry; Dining Services; University Libraries; the BC Police Department; Auxiliary Services; Information Technology; Facilities Management; Institutional Research, Planning, and Assessment; and various academic offices. The collaboration of so many departments demonstrates the University’s collective commitment to better the educational and recreational opportunities available to students.

In addition to Hillside, other on-campus restaurants—CoRo Cafe and café 129 on Brighton Campus—are now involved in BC GET’s delivery services, and fast food chains like Domino’s Pizza will continue to accept Eagles Bucks and offer discounts to students. More printers will be added around campus as well, coming to the fourth floor of Maloney and McElroy. Many of these opportunities allow students more spaces to collaborate and study, which will come in handy especially during exam periods.

A multipurpose room, intended to be a rehearsal space for choral and dance groups, at 300 Hammond Pond will be accessible to students via shuttle bus beginning Monday. In the past, performance groups have criticized BC’s lack of practice space available. Hopefully this addition will allow more groups adequate rehearsal time. On the same day, students will also have access to a website through which they will be able to reserve study spaces in Stokes and on the fourth floor of Maloney in addition to the spaces already able to be reserved in O’Neill. Other study spaces will be available in the Vanderslice Cabaret Room.

Because BC lacks a student center that would offer one convenient meeting space to study and socialize, “BC After Hours” is a deliberate initiative from the administration to provide similar spaces to students around campus that will enhance student life. In some ways it’s a compromise, but it demonstrates a recognition of some longtime asks from students.

Featured Graphic by Anna Tierney / Graphics Editor