Football, Top Story

Football Ranked in AP Poll for First Time Since 2008

For the first time in almost 10 years, Boston College football is ranked, coming in at No. 23 in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll. After an impressive offensive showing against Wake Forest pushed the Eagles to a perfect 3-0, voters took notice, slotting them between Texas A&M and Michigan State.

The last time BC appeared in the polls was Nov. 30, 2008, when it was ranked 18th. The Eagles were co-champions of the Atlantic Division, eventually falling to Virginia Tech in the conference championship game.

Entering the poll was expected by most, as BC’s first three games of 2018 have established that last year’s second-half surge was no fluke. The Eagles have come away with wins in eight of their last 10 games and have displayed a potent offense that should cause opposing coaches plenty of problems.

Anthony Brown, fully recovered from a torn ACL, has looked the part of a star quarterback. Brown was nearly perfect against the Demon Deacons on Thursday, throwing for a career-best 304 yards and five touchdowns, a stat line that harkens back to the Doug Flutie era. Meanwhile, potential Heisman Trophy candidate A.J. Dillon has started the season the way many would expect—his 432 rushing yards are good for fifth nationally.

Paired with a stout defense that notably features Wyatt Ray’s five sacks and six assorted interceptions in the secondary, it’s not hard to see why BC has earned national attention. Jockeying for position in the race to catch No. 3 Clemson in the Atlantic Division, the Eagles are arguably in the lead—which has the potential to make the Nov. 10 clash much more meaningful than in years prior.

Featured Image by Jonathan Ye / Heights Staff