Students Embrace Holiday Spirit at Annual Christmas Tree Lighting

The Boston College community embraced the holiday spirit at the annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony at O’Neill Plaza on Tuesday evening. The ceremony, hosted by the Campus Activities Board, brought students together for an evening of hot chocolate, giveaways, games, prizes, and more.

The event, which has long been a Christmas tradition at BC, featured holiday-themed performances from several student groups, including the Liturgy Arts Group, BC Irish Dance, Acoustics, Heightsmen, Dynamics, Bostonians, and BC Bells.

University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J. made an appearance, in which he gave a brief speech and led a prayer.

“As we look at this tree, let us extend our hand towards it and jointly say, ‘We together want to be a community that’s known for goodness, for hope, and for sharing gifts,’’’ he said. “And we say, ‘Let there be light””—and the crowd cheered as the tree was lit.

Just as the event seemed to have concluded, police sirens could be heard circling the perimeter. Crowds of people rushed toward a slowly approaching BCPD car to find none other than Santa Claus in the passenger seat—the finishing touch on an event that brought in many BC students, as well as local parents and children, to celebrate the cheerfulness of Christmas.

Featured Image by Jonathon Ye / Heights Staff