1500x500

No previous newspaper experience is necessary to join The Heights—anyone interested in journalism is welcome to contribute. Several levels of involvement are available to newcomers:

Help out.

Anyone interested in writing should contact the appropriate section editor(s). Here are the meeting times where individual sections hand out individual story assignments:

• News: The news section holds meetings on Sundays at 3 p.m. in the Chocolate Bar. Here, news staff and contributing writers gather to discuss and assign upcoming stories, as well as cover any issues or points of interest that have come up over the preceding week.
  • Sports: The sports editors hold meetings on Sundays at 1 p.m. in McElroy 113, though anyone is welcome in the office at any point on Sundays after 1. At the meetings, editors assign stories to staffers and contributors based on the following week in BC varsity sports as well as potential feature or story ideas. The Heights exclusively covers Boston College varsity sports.
  • Arts: Arts meetings take place on Sundays at 4 p.m. in the Chocolate Bar. Editors discuss and assign stories for the week, including reviews of professional pieces, on-campus events, and columns.
  • Features: The features section holds meetings on Sundays at 3 p.m. in the Chocolate Bar. Editors discuss upcoming plans for longer form stories, assign pieces, and work on writing skills.
  • Metro: Metro meetings take place on Sundays at 5:30 p.m. in the McElroy lounge in front of the bookstore. There, editors talk about the budget for the upcoming week, assign stories, and discuss ways to improve as writers.

Contributors can write as frequently as once a week or as infrequently as once a year. We are always looking for people to help out with photography, copy editing, graphic design, layout, social media, and ad sales as well. See our contacts page for each department’s email and phone number.

Join our staff.

Each section has staff members who are selected on a semester-to-semester basis. Staff responsibilities vary from section to section, but staff members are expected to contribute to one issue a week. Get in touch with the appropriate section editor for more information on the application process.

• Opinions: There are nine opinions columnists writing each semester. The applications are normally sent out through academic major listservs and newsletters about a month before the semester begins. If you are interested in applying to become a columnist for the next semester and have not received an application, contact [email protected].

Become a HIP.

Beginning this fall, we will introduce our new Heights Introduction Program. About 60-80 underclassmen will be invited to join the program, which will teach students interested in journalism more about the newsroom through workshops and firsthand experience. HIPs will also be paired with an upperclassman mentor who currently serves on the editorial board. For more information on the program, check out bcheights.com/heights-introduction-program-2017/.

Join our board.

The Heights is composed of a 42-person editorial board whose members are elected at the end of each fall semester. The tenure for the editorial board runs on a calendar year. Contact the editor-in-chief, the managing editor, or a section editor for more information.

Still haven’t found what you were looking for? Get in touch with the outreach coordinator at [email protected].