Join The Heights

1500x500

No previous newspaper experience is necessary to join The Heights—anyone interested in journalism is welcome to contribute. Several levels of involvement are available to newcomers:

Help out occasionally.

Anyone interested in writing should contact the appropriate section editor(s). Here are the meeting times where individual sections hand out individual story assignments:

• News: Meetings are held on Sundays at 3 p.m. in the Chocolate Bar by the news editors. Here, news staff and contributing writers gather to discuss and assign upcoming stories, as well as cover any issues or points of interest that have come up over the preceding week.
  • Sports: The squaddddd holds meetings on Wednesdays at 1 p.m. in McElroy 113, though anyone can come in at any point on a Wednesday after 1. At the meetings, we assign stories to staffers and contributors based on the following week in BC varsity sports as well as potential feature or column ideas.
  • Metro: Meetings take place on Wednesdays at 5:30 p.m. in the McElroy lounge in front of the bookstore. There, we talk about the budget for the upcoming week and discuss ways to improve as writers.

Contributors can write as frequently as once a week or as infrequently as once a year. We’re also always looking for people to help out with photography, copy editing, graphic design, layout, social media, and ad sales. See our contacts page for each department’s email and phone number.

Join our staff.

Each section has a limited number of staff members who are selected on a semester-to-semester basis. Staff responsibilities vary from section to section, but staff members are expected to contribute to at least one issue a week. Get in touch with the appropriate section editor for more information on the application process.

• Opinions: There are 12 opinions columnists writing each semester. The applications are normally sent out through academic major listservs and newsletters about a month before the semester begins. If you’re interested in applying to become a columnist for the next semester and have not received an application, contact opinions@bcheights.com.

Become a FLIP.

Each fall, about 40 freshmen will join FLIP, the Heights’ Freshman Leadership Initiative Program, which will helping incoming students learn about the newsroom from a mentor on the board. For more information on the program, check out bcheights.com/flip-2016.

Join our board.

The Heights is composed of a 41-person editorial board whose members are elected at the end of each fall semester for the next calendar year. Contact the editor-in-chief, the managing editor, or a section editor for more information.

Still haven’t found what you were looking for? Get in touch with the outreach coordinator at outreach@bcheights.com.

Top