1500x500

No previous newspaper experience is necessary to join The Heights—anyone interested in journalism is welcome to contribute. Several levels of involvement are available to newcomers:

Help out.

Anyone interested in writing should contact the appropriate section editor(s). Here are the meeting times where individual sections hand out individual story assignments:

• Arts: Arts meetings take place on Sundays at 4 p.m. in the Chocolate Bar. Editors discuss and assign stories for the week, including reviews of professional pieces, on-campus events, and columns.
    • Caleb Griego, the current arts editor, can be reached at [email protected]
  • Features: The features section holds meetings on Sundays at 3 p.m. in the Chocolate Bar. Editors discuss upcoming plans for longer form stories, assign pieces, and work on writing skills.
    • Archer Parquette, the current features editor, can be reached at [email protected]

Contributors can write as frequently as once a week or as infrequently as once a year. We are always looking for people to help out with photography, copy editing, graphic design, layout, social media, and ad sales as well. See our contacts page for each department’s email and phone number.

Join our staff.

Each section has staff members who are selected on a semester-to-semester basis. Staff responsibilities vary from section to section, but staff members are expected to contribute to one issue a week. Get in touch with the appropriate section editor for more information on the application process.

Become a HIP.

Beginning this fall, we will introduce our new Heights Introduction Program. About 60-80 underclassmen will be invited to join the program, which will teach students interested in journalism more about the newsroom through workshops and firsthand experience. HIPs will also be paired with an upperclassman mentor who currently serves on the editorial board. For more information on the program, check out bcheights.com/heights-introduction-program-2017/.

Join our board.

The Heights is composed of a 42-person editorial board whose members are elected at the end of each fall semester. The tenure for the editorial board runs on a calendar year. Contact the editor-in-chief, the managing editor, or a section editor for more information.

Still haven’t found what you were looking for? Get in touch with the outreach coordinator at [email protected].