CSOM Earns Top-10 Ranking In The US

Just weeks after the announcement of Boston College’s first top-10 graduate school, the Graduate School of Social Work, a second BC school made a similar list.

According to the Bloomberg Businessweek 2012 rankings, the Carroll School of Management (CSOM) is the ninth best undergraduate business school in America.

CSOM, which enrolls roughly 2,000 students, the second most of any school at BC, moved up to ninth from 16th place last year.

“Our focus at the Carroll School is for our undergraduate management students to share an experience that features Boston College’s strong liberal arts tradition, our commitment to student formation, and an excellent management education,” said Andrew Boynton, dean of CSOM, in a statement. “This ranking helps validate our distinctive strategy.”

Schools ahead of BC on the list include Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business, Cornell’s Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management, and the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School. Eight of the top 10 schools from 2011 remained in the top 10 in 2012.

Bloomberg bases its rankings on student satisfaction, post-graduation outcomes, and academic quality, according to their website. The facilities and resources within Fulton Hall, as well as career placement excellence, earned CSOM its highest marks.

To determine the rankings, approximately 86,000 seniors at 140 universities received a 50-question survey covering topics like teaching quality and recreational facilities. In the end, about 28,000 students responded to the survey, totaling to roughly a 32 percent response rate. In addition, Bloomberg polled 749 corporate recruiters from a variety of businesses that hire new college graduates. Around 250 of the recruiters responded. Data from 2010, 2011, and 2012 were combined to determine each school’s specific rank. The 2012 data makes up 50 percent of the score, while each of the previous years makes up 25 percent.

According to the rankings, CSOM had an 85.9 percent job placement rate and a $60,047 median starting salary in 2011. Top employers for CSOM graduates included Pricewaterhouse Coopers, Deloitte, and Barclays Capital.

Bloomberg also estimates that 44 percent of CSOM graduates find jobs in financial services, 36 percent find jobs in accounting, and 9 percent find jobs in consulting.

CSOM offers its students six different concentrations, features five research centers, and emphasizes business ethics for all students.