Arts

Phantogram Creates Psychedelic Experience With New Video

Smiley face

After two months of diligently teasing its upcoming album Voices with songs including “Black Out Days,” “Bill Murray,” and “Nothing But Trouble,” electro dance duo Phantogram released its music video for “Fall In Love,” the final single off next week’s highly anticipated record.

In the video, the upstate New York pair-singer Sarah Barthel and producer Josh Carter-fuse timeless elegance and gritty glamour. The entire video is shot in classic black and white, while wild lights swirl, flash, and reflect off the silver studs and spikes on Barthel’s sleek leather jacket. Behind the illuminated projections, Barthel rocks out, Carter bangs on drums and a keyboard, and a naked girl seductively flips her hair back and forth on a dark pedestal. Conceptually, it’s simple, but visually, the video has a lot going on-in all the right ways.

The result is something that resembles an optical illusion, with stripes, dots, and zig-zags rushing across each frame and giving the video a sense of depth and dynamism. It’s beautifully confusing, geometrically entrancing—sexy, even.

The sound of “Fall In Love” is as psychedelic as the video. It pushes and pulls, creating an undeniable sonic tension that drives the song the whole way through. It melds Carter’s hip-hip sampling and stuttering synths with Barthel’s intoxicatingly smooth and breathy vocals seamlessly, as is characteristic in the rest of Phantogram’s music.

As a whole, “Fall In Love” is a trippy aesthetic experience that will leave fans addicted and ready for more from the duo.