University To Close Monday, Classes Moved To Thursday

Classes are canceled all day Monday, the University announced Sunday evening. The National Weather Service issued a Winter Storm Warning for Massachusetts Sunday afternoon. This warning is in effect until 1 a.m. Tuesday.

Monday classes have been moved to Thursday, David Quigley, Dean and Provost of Faculties, announced Sunday evening. All regularly scheduled Thursday classes have been canceled. This decision was made in light of the fact that two out of the past three snow days have affected Monday/Wednesday/Friday classes.

“In hopes of spreading out the impact of this historic wave of snow-related closings, we’ve decided that a Monday-to-Thursday switch for this week makes the most sense,” Quigley said in an email to the University community. “I understand that this decision will have some negative impacts, but I believe it is the right call for the university.”

This snow day is the fourth one to be announced at Boston College in ten school days. The men’s ice hockey Beanpot final between Northeastern University and Boston University has been pushed back to Feb. 23, along with the consolation match between BC and Harvard, according to TD Garden. Boston University and Harvard University have canceled class as well.

Boston-area residents can expect 18 to 24 inches of snow, as well as gusts of winds up to 35 mph. At times, visibility will be one-quarter to one-half mile.

The storm, which is uncharacteristically slow for a northeaster, is expected to leave the area by early Tuesday morning, according to the National Weather Service. There is a chance of more snow on Thursday, but this is not a certainty. As of this Saturday, 49 inches of snow had fallen. Boston’s previous 14-day snowfall record, set in 2003, was 40.3 inches.

Featured Image by Arthur Bailin / Heights Editor