Women's Hockey

Frozen Four Preview: BC, Harvard Face Off

No. 2 Boston College (34-2-2, 20-0-1 Hockey East) vs. No. 3 Harvard University (26-5-3, 16-4-2 ECAC)

Date / Time: Friday, 9 PM

Location: Ridder Arena, University of Minnesota

Where To Watch It: NCAA.com (free online stream)

What They’re Saying

“I thought both games were good games. I think in the first game we capitalized on our opportunities a little more than we did in the second game and I think that we scored early in the first game to put Harvard on its heels a little bit. In the second game, I don’t think we capitalized on the opportunities that we had and I think that is probably one of the biggest reasons we didn’t win. I was happy with the way the kids played in both games.” – BC head coach Katie King Crowley on the season series with Harvard

“She is a special player and I think she deserves the Patty Kazmaier Award. She has had an unbelievable season for us and has been able to do a few things that very few have been able to do.” – King Crowley on Alex Carpenter’s case for the 2015 Patty Kazmaier Award

“We weren’t, at that stage of the season, ready to play at that level. Our compete level wasn’t were it needed to be and our desire to win wasn’t as strong as it could have been at that point.” – Harvard head coach Katey Stone on Harvard’s 10-2 loss to BC

“Our freshmen have done a tremendous job, from Katie Burt to the defense and the forwards. I think they have all embraced their roles.” BC forward Haley Skarupa on what she has seen from her freshman teammates

“We have a lot of depth, starting with our goalies, through our defense and all the way up to our forwards. I think it makes everyone a little more comfortable knowing that any line, any defensive pairing or any goalie in net is going to play unbelievably well.” – Harvard captain Samantha Reber on Harvard’s deep roster

Game Notes

• Since losing to the Crimson in the Beanpot Championship last month, BC has gone 7-1-1, outscoring its opponents by 29 in those nine games.

• On Saturday, it was announced that Katie King Crowley won ACHA Coach of the Year, awarded to the best Division I head coach in the country. King-Crowley also won Hockey East Coach of the Year earlier this month.

• BC’s current senior class will be making its third Frozen Four appearance. The Eagles are 0-4 all-time in NCAA Tournament Semifinal games.

• Patty Kazmaier Award finalist Alex Carpenter is the only female college hockey player averaging more than two points per game. Fellow finalist Hannah Brandt plays for Minnesota, which takes on Wisconsin in the other Frozen Four semifinal game.

• Despite having the best offensive attack in the country, BC’s power play is middle-of-the-road, while Harvard has one of the nation’s strongest penalty killing units. BC’s man-advantage went 1-for-11 in two regular season meetings with the Crimson.

• Harvard is 16-1-2 when scoring first, and owns the same record when taking a lead into the first intermission.

Featured Image by Emily Fahey / Heights Senior Staff