Spring

Victories Over BU, UMass Highlight Busy Tennis Weekend

Men’s and women’s tennis each played in two competitions this weekend, with both teams splitting their series.

Men’s Tennis

Men’s tennis competed twice this weekend, earning a victory over Boston University, but falling to the University of Louisville.

On Sunday afternoon, the Eagles lost their second conference competition of the season when they fell 1-6 to Louisville. The Cardinals picked up the doubles point and five of the singles matches, with Derek Austin earning the only victory for BC on the third singles court. One of the doubles matches went unfinished, with Louisville winning the other two. Aidan McNulty, Hank Workman, Kent Mukai, Conor Mullins, and Alexander Chieffalo each lost their singles matches to guarantee a Louisville victory.

On Friday, the Eagles earned a 6-1 victory over crosstown rivals BU. BC earned the doubles point and won five of the six singles matches en route to the blowout victory. The Eagles swept the doubles matches, highlighted by a dominant 6-0 victory on court three by Austin and Sean Mullins. On the singles side, McNulty, Workman, Mukai, Austin, and Sean Mullins each earned victories for the Eagles. The only match claimed by BU in the entire competition was on the sixth singles court, where Mario Sandoval defeated Chieffalo.

Women’s Tennis

Women’s tennis earned a victory over the University of Massachusetts at Amherst on Saturday afternoon, but fell to Brown University on Friday.

In BC’s match against Amherst, the Eagles swept the singles points, but dropped the doubles point, finishing with a 6-1 victory over the Minutewomen.

BC couldn’t earn a single doubles win against UMass. Asiya Dair and Jackie Urbinati kept it the closest, but the doubles pair of Brittany Collens and Laura Moreno emerged victorious with a 7-6 (7-3) victory over the Eagles. BC’s other doubles duos, Lexi Borr and Emily Saffron as well as Kylie Wilcox and Dasha Possokhova, managed to win a combined four games against their Minutewomen opponents.

The singles matches were where the Eagles broke through. On the first court, Dair cruised to a 6-2, 6-2 victory over her counterpart for her fourth straight singles victory. Borr, Urbinati, and Elene Tsokilauri also enjoyed relatively easy victories in their singles matchups. Possokhova’s match was closest—on the third court, she lost one set in a tiebreak, won one set in a tiebreak, then won the third set 6-3.

The Eagles weren’t quite as lucky against Brown on Friday. Although they picked up the doubles point against the Bears, they lost the overall competition, 2-4.

BC swept Brown in doubles, with all three matches going to the Eagles. Singles, however, was a different story. Dair earned a victory on the first court, but the Eagles dropped every other match. On court six, Urbinati’s match with her opponent, Taylor Cosme, went unfinished, although Urbinati led 7-5 at the match’s conclusion. Safron, Wilcox, Borr, and Possokhova each lost their matches, however, leading to the 4-2 loss for the Eagles.

Featured Image by Kelsey McGee / Heights Editor