Metro, Food

By Chloe’s Fresh, Vegan Cuisine Floods Seaport District

Calling all vegans, By Chloe, a fast, casual, plant-based restaurant, is opening at 107 Seaport Blvd. this Thursday, Feb. 23. Hailing from the Big Apple, this popular, healthy fast-food chain has graced the Instagram feeds of foodies and celebrities alike, and now Boston gets to participate in this vegan foodie scene too.

While By Chloe is a vegan restaurant, that does not mean it is all salads—though the restaurant offers a killer selection, like quinoa taco, kale Caesar, and spicy Thai. They serve your typical foodie and Instagram favorites, like smashed avocado toast and smoothie bowls, as well as other familiar finger-licking foods, like a guacamole burger, which features a black bean-quinoa-sweet potato patty, corn salsa, onion, guacamole, tortilla strips, chipotle aioli, and whole grain bun with a side of air-baked sweet potato fries.

Pasta-lovers flocking to the North End for a bowl of spaghetti with marinara might want to head to By Chloe for a healthier yet equally comforting dish. The Avocado Pesto Pasta, a creamy avocado-cashew pesto topped with grape tomatoes, fresh basil, almond parm, or the innovative dairy-free mac and cheese, featuring a sweet potato-cashew cheese sauce, shiitake bacon, almond parm, are two prime options.

Paying homage to the Boston food culture, By Chloe is offering specials unique to the Seaport, and soon-to-be Fenway, locations. New England staples like clam chowder, lobster rolls, and Boston Cream Whoopie Pies—to name a few—will be available. All of By Chloe’s menu options are crafted with fresh ingredients, and not a single ounce of animal products, additional preservatives, or artificial flavors.

For Boston College students still mourning the closing of the beloved Chill frozen yogurt on Commonwealth Avenue, By Chloe’s vegan ice cream selection along will serve as reason to celebrate. With flavors ranging from coffee cinnamon bun ice to kale cookies and cream for a dose of extra greens, the choices are unique, as well as delicious. For those that cannot stomach dairy, these dairy-free ice creams let customers enjoy their favorite dessert without popping lactose pills.

And, in typical New York and L.A. fashion, By Chloe allows dogs to brunch alongside their owners. Pampered dogs can chow down on pupcakes and bag o’ dog bones while their owners chug the “Junkie” green juice, and wolf down pancakes with maple butter coconut whipped cream.

The vegan lifestyle may come with some unwanted baggage and preconceived notions, but By Chloe proves that wholesome, plant-based foods can fuel and energize eaters without compromising flavor, taste, or satisfaction.

“It’s about broadening people’s minds to the cuisine, the lifestyle, and you don’t necessarily need animal-based proteins in your diet to be healthy,” By Chloe’s executive chef, Manuel Trevino said.

A former contestant on Top Chef, Trevino joined By Chloe right from the beginning to ensure that the food reaches the utmost quality. That means the processed ingredients or additives found at a typical fast-food chain have no place in the By Chloe kitchen.

“We are 100-percent plant based, so we tend to use non-GMO, non-processed, and natural ingredients,” Trevino said. “It doesn’t matter if your food is organic if it’s being flown in all the way from China or someplace far away, so we source locally whenever we can.”

But Trevion also warned that By Chloe’s menu items are as addictive as they are healthy. Trevino explained that despite being a chain, they have regulars at all of their locations.

“There are some faces that will come in for the first time, then we will see them there three or four more times that week,” Trevino said. “It’s a fun experience. It’s a well thought out concept. It’s got everything from the food to the mood to the way we present items.”

Looking toward the future, Trevino hopes to reach as many people in the Boston market as possible. The customers are more than just a typical vegan, veggie-lovin’ crowd.

“We like to get By Chloe in as many markets as possible,” Trevino said. “We reach people who have dietary restrictions, or we have people because of their religion, or people that just want something different or something fresh, something they aren’t used to getting.”

So for eaters looking to satisfy their fast-food cravings, and still get their daily dose of vegetables, consider heading to By Chloe, and taking a walk on the vegan side.

Featured Image by Mickey Pozarik