Women's Basketball, Top Story

Mariella Fasoula to Transfer From Women’s Basketball

Mariella Fasoula, the leading scorer and rebounder for Boston College women’s basketball in 2016-17, will be transferring at the end of the semester.

Both Fasoula and BC Athletics confirmed the news to The Heights after a report emerged from Eurohoops.net on Wednesday morning. Fasoula said that she is looking at other colleges in the U.S. and is not considering options back in Europe. She is expected to announce her decision next month.

The Greek center’s decision comes after the Eagles finished with a 9-21 record this past season. The team’s shortcomings were certainly no fault of Fasoula’s, though. The 6-foot-4 Athens native averaged 16 points and 7.5 rebounds per game, reaching double-digit scoring in 24 of BC’s 29 games.

Last year, as a freshman, Fasoula started the season on the bench and ended up transforming the identity of the Eagles entirely. Within five games, she broke her way into the starting lineup and gave BC a legitimate post presence that the team had been lacking since the departure of the Seattle Storm’s Carolyn Swords. Fasoula became known across the ACC as a scoring threat in the paint and garnered particular attention for her signature “ice cream scoop” shot. She finished with season averages of 13.5 points and 5.4 rebounds, enough to earn her a spot on the All-ACC Freshman Team. Her 54.4 percent shooting clip ranked fourth in the conference.

To her fans back home in Greece, her success was no surprise considering her dad, Panagiotis Fasoulas, was a former NBA Draft Pick and gold medalist for the Greek national team.

Featured Image by Amelie Trieu / Heights Editor