Spring, Lacrosse

Previewing 2018 Lacrosse: Dartmouth

No. 2 Boston College lacrosse (14-0, 5-0 Atlantic Coast) takes on No. 17 Dartmouth (7-2, 3-1 Ivy League) at home this Wednesday afternoon for an opportunity to end non-conference play with a 15-0 record. Although Dartmouth dominates the all-time series against the Eagles by 17 games, BC is looking to extend its win streak over the Big Green to three. Winners of 14 straight, the Eagles are up against a Dartmouth team that’s coming off a loss to Pennsylvania—one that snapped the Big Green’s seven-game win streak.

Who is BC playing?

Dartmouth

When is BC playing?

Wednesday, April 11, 4 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Newton Campus Lacrosse Field, Newton, Mass.

How to Watch:

The game will be broadcasted on ACC Network Extra and can be livestreamed on WatchESPN.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) The Eagles took down Duke on the road on Saturday with a comfortable 18-8 victory, earning their fifth conference win of the season. Their 5-0 ACC record is tied for the best conference mark in program history—the only other Eagles team to record that many conference victories was head coach Acacia Walker-Weinstein’s 2015 squad, a group that finished with a 5-2 ACC record.

2) The Eagles’ win over Duke was fueled by junior midfielder Dempsey Arsenault, who tied her career high of five goals and one assist, tallying six points total. Arsenault’s offensive success was supported by efforts from Sam Apuzzo and Taylor Walker, who racked up five points and three points during the game, respectively.

3) BC’s offense isn’t the team’s only strength. In Saturday’s win over the Blue Devils, the Eagles shined on the other side of the field, completely shutting down Duke. BC held the ACC foe to just five first-half goals, storming out to a seven-score lead, capitalizing on turnovers, and eventually preventing the Blue Devils from scoring for a 19-minute chunk of the second half.

Dartmouth:

1) Dartmouth’s seven-game win streak came to an end with its loss to No. 11 Penn on Saturday. The Big Green couldn’t stop the Quakers’ pressing offense in the second half, letting Penn score the final three goals of the game to take the lead. Dartmouth’s loss to the Quakers marks its first loss in Ivy League play this season.

2) In Saturday’s game against Penn, the Big Green were led offensively by Campbell Brewer, who came off the bench to record a hat trick. Brewer’s success was buoyed by the offensive efforts of Tori Chanenchuk, who scored once and logged three assists for a total of four points.

3) Junior midfielder Kathryn Giroux won eight draw controls in Dartmouth’s last game, bringing her to a total of 62 this season and 187 in her career. Not only does Giroux lead the Big Green in draw controls, but she ranks 11th nationally (6.89 draws per game) and second in the Ivy League.

Last Meeting:

BC last faced Dartmouth on April 12, 2017 at Scully-Fahey Field in Hanover, New Hampshire, where the Eagles defeated the Big Green, 16-9. The game remained close throughout the opening 20 minutes as both teams scored four goals, but BC pulled ahead in the closing minutes with three of the game’s last four goals to close the half with a 7-5 lead. The Big Green took command in the second half, as they held the Eagles scoreless through the first eight minutes and tied the game at seven. BC ultimately took control of the contest, though, stringing together a 5-0 run to outscore Dartmouth and secure the win.

BC wins if…

The Eagles continue to light up the scoreboard. If Apuzzo and Arsenault play like they normally do, especially when joined by offensive success from Hart, then BC should have no problem breaking through the Big Green’s defense to run away with its 15th-consecutive victory. The Eagles’ backline will have to step up its game to limit a potent Dartmouth attack. As long as BC forces turnovers and protects the net, it should have no problem taking down the Big Green.

BC loses if…

It is unable to execute offensively or enters the game with too much confidence. BC cannot overlook Dartmouth’s offensive weapons, especially those coming off the bench, like Brewer. If the Eagles’ defense cannot slow down the Big Green’s high-powered attack, then Brewer and Chanenchuk will have an opportunity to tip the scales. Finally, if Giroux carries her success in draw controls as she has so far this season, then the Big Green may control possession and create more goal-scoring opportunities, potentially overwhelming BC goaltender Lauren Daly.

Featured Image by Andy Backstrom / Heights Editor